PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a boat. Need help!!!

wander1053
04-30-2006, 02:18 AM
Hello,

I am scheduled to begin detailing a 25 foot cabin crusier later this week. I have no experiance working with boats, but the owner, whom I have done car work for in the past, seems to have a lot of faith in me. So much faith, that he had his boat towed from the marina to his house, so I could work on it in more comfortable surroundings.

I need to know a few things. To begin with, what should I charge him? My prices for cars very wildly, to include detailing an 06` Altima w/ Z-2 pro for only $35. However, I would like to start increasing my prices since so many people want to use my services. What would you charge to detail a boat? As far as I know he wants me to clean inside and out, this is to include a full compounding, polish, and sealant job on the hull.

Speaking of sealant, what products are compatible with fiberglass gel coats? I know that the Klasse twins are, as well as FK 2180 and 1000P. Does anyone if Zaino would be useable? Are any of the Meguiars Professional products useable (ie. DACP or Machine Glaze)? Is number #16 useable as an LSP?

Thanks for your input!!!

Gabe

imported_cj99si
04-30-2006, 05:24 AM
Call around the local boat detailers and ask what they would charge to do it(like you own it) then give alot better deal. klasse AIO is good, and you can use pretty much any compound just make sure the lsp is good for the water(especially if its salt water).

RTexasF
04-30-2006, 07:23 AM
A bit of googling provided this:

http://www.hurstmarina.com/boat_detailing.asp

Perhaps it will help.

A dealership where I used to work would charge $250 minimum for a boat that size for the hull only. If it had been stored in the water and was full of growth the price would easily double......again hull only.