PDA

View Full Version : Megs APC as clay lube....

DocHoliday
04-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Tried this and it worked nice. Not only did it clay very well, it dewaxed what whas there from before. Anyone else use this method?

gbackus
04-29-2006, 11:52 PM
I don`t think that`s a very good idea for three reasons. 1. It may have adverse effects on the clay and you may end up spending a lot of money on clay. 2. The APC does not have the lubricity of a QD or water and soap mixture, and you could *possibly* instill a lot of marring. 3. If you are not washing the APC out afterwards, the leftover chemical residue could *possibly* cause long term paint issues.

imported_smprince1
04-30-2006, 05:16 AM
I would also be concerned about the lack of lubricity if using APC instead of diluted car wash soap or dedicated clay lube. The clay should glide over the paint.

Mark77
04-30-2006, 06:57 AM
I use Optimum No Rinse Wash as clay lube. I mix it like they recommend as a QD and it works well and it`s very cheap. :)

DocHoliday
04-30-2006, 07:23 AM
I get huge discounts on clay from a source, I pay less than $5 per 100g bar of blue clay magic.

There is plenty of lube I have never had the bar break down.

I do wash the car afterwards (only done the APC as clay lube twice)

Ive been claying since 2000 so I am sure that I am not harming the finish.

Just thought I would point it out as another option, it worked great for me.

Accumulator
04-30-2006, 10:15 AM
I use EFHI as lube when claying nasty wheels. Dissolves the clay pretty fast but it works OK.

Puropuro
04-30-2006, 10:34 AM
I still don`t get why more people don`t use use car soap and water....to me, seems way cheaper and easier.

Accumulator
04-30-2006, 11:03 AM
I quit using shampoo mix as my clay lube for three reasons:

-it dissolved the clay more than the lube does, resulting in light clay residue on the panels and compromised claying effectiveness

-it didn`t provide the same lubricity or viscosity as the Glyde lube (and I was using a high-lubricity shampoo) and both attributes are, IMO, valuable when doing very gentle claying

-it required at least a rinse as opposed to merely a wipe (not an issue if you clay while washing, but still another step, especially if you clay at any other time)

imported_truzoom
04-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Wow that seems like a really bad thing to do, imo. APC is some harsh stuff, so you may be putting a lot of stress onto the paint, not to mention your hands too.

Puropuro
04-30-2006, 11:11 AM
I quit using shampoo mix as my clay lube for three reasons:

-it dissolved the clay more than the lube does, resulting in light clay residue on the panels and compromised claying effectiveness

-it didn`t provide the same lubricity or viscosity as the Glyde lube (and I was using a high-lubricity shampoo) and both attributes are, IMO, valuable when doing very gentle claying

-it required at least a rinse as opposed to merely a wipe (not an issue if you clay while washing, but still another step, especially if you clay at any other time)

Thanks sir, I just learned something new.

Beason
04-30-2006, 11:51 AM
I use EFHI as lube when claying nasty wheels. Dissolves the clay pretty fast but it works OK.

what do you normaly use for the paint?

Accumulator
04-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Puropuro- I oughta point out that I usually do like to do some kind of cleaning to get the residual Glyde lube off too...reviewing my post, I`d made it sound like using it instead of the shampoo completely eliminates the need to subsequently clean the panel, and it`s more like it just greatly reduces it (you can get by with a spritz of QD, for instance). I almost always clay while washing anyhow, maybe that`s why I didn`t present that point too well :o

Beason- I use Sonus clay with their Glyde lube. I haven`t tried all the clays out there, just the Mother`s and Griot`s (which seem identical to me) and then the various types of Sonus. I used the Griot`s for *years*, since back when it was green in color. I was really shocked at how much better the Sonus is, truly astounded as I thought "clay is clay" and had read all about how it all comes from a handful of sources using the same process. I used the Griot`s again the other week just to use it up and ended up tossing it and getting out the Sonus, and this was on a loaner car I didn`t care about.

I was kinda a die-hard about using the shampoo mix (and sometimes #34) but it got to where I couldn`t deny the advantages of using the Glyde. Not saying it`s a necessity for everyone, just that it was sure the right move for me. Especially with the Sonus Green, which I use so gently as to not disturb my LSP.

DocHoliday
04-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Please stop sending me PMs about getting clay(7 so far), its a local deal only and I do apologize I do not have the time currently to mail bars out to everyone. Again I apologize.