PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is the correct forum...

DrGonzo
04-29-2006, 08:42 PM
I`ll be applying for a job monday at a car dealership. The job is for "auto cleanup" and requires six months experience. I have no "official" experience in that area, but i`ve been cleaning cars the autopian way on my own for the past three years. I know that the manager probably won`t care about that, is there any way that i can tell them that i have experience in the area? I plan on giving the car a complete cleaning before going in so i at least have that to show them. Does anyone have any advice?

JasonD
04-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Sorry, no advice, but I moved it to the correct forum for ya.

DrGonzo
04-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Much appreciated, i had no idea where this topic belonged. :)

imported_ajbarnes
04-30-2006, 03:16 AM
How about asking the MGR. to give you a car to detail as an example of your skill level. :nixweiss

Setec Astronomy
04-30-2006, 03:49 AM
When you say you`ve been cleaning cars for 3 years, is that just your own/family, or for money? If you have been doing it for money I think that says volumes about having experience. They just want someone that`s done it before (the six month statement) so they don`t have to worry about cars getting messed up. If there is any doubt, ajbarnes made a great suggestion.

!Danny!
04-30-2006, 03:55 AM
How about asking the MGR. to give you a car to detail as an example of your skill level. :nixweiss

Quite right.

Offering to work a couple of days for free is always a great idea and sure to grab the manager`s attention... it proves you are keen and you ain`t all about the money.

We gave a guy a job a couple of months back, he turned up on our door and offered to work for free, this really impressed us... also the fact that he had driven all the way from Poland played a big factor.

His English is still rough and we don`t let him answer the phones when customers ring... but regardless, we are making him the manager(forman) and promoting him above other guys who have been with us years because he has the get-up-and-go that we are looking for. Its that simple... when you run a company, you want people who can be told what to do and trusted to get on with it without knocking on your door every 5 mins with yet another question.

doged
04-30-2006, 05:10 AM
Quite right.

Offering to work a couple of days for free is always a great idea and sure to grab the manager`s attention... it proves you are keen and you ain`t all about the money.

We gave a guy a job a couple of months back, he turned up on our door and offered to work for free, this really impressed us... also the fact that he had driven all the way from Poland played a big factor.

His English is still rough and we don`t let him answer the phones when customers ring... but regardless, we are making him the manager(forman) and promoting him above other guys who have been with us years because he has the get-up-and-go that we are looking for. Its that simple... when you run a company, you want people who can be told what to do and trusted to get on with it without knocking on your door every 5 mins with yet another question.

Danny, can you please see if this person has any brothers and if they would like to work in California? LOL....... Unfortunately our country’s work ethic is not very inspiring. :usa