PDA

View Full Version : How would you design the PC?

Super
04-29-2006, 05:45 AM
You are a Professional Detailer how would you design the PC that would suit your needs?

If I had to design the PC for automotive polishing I would design it that had a covenant easy to get to speed control switch and a better to get to on off button doing so with the other hand you can hold polish container without the putting the container down all the time. Now that would same me some time.

The elect cord would be at an elbow 45* turn away going up from where it’s polishing instead of where the cord is pointing out now but that is no big deal

A thinner lower front so I could get under car’s mirrors better. The PC could use just a little more power on the real tuff paint corrections using a cutting pad jobs but I would rather see the PC light weight then heavy.

Since I don’t use the handle that came /w the PC setting down the PC it can tip over and can contaminate the pad, I wished it had a better setting down platform. You can make your own setting down platform out of stiff heavy duty foam glued to the PC.

The Porter Cable Polisher was designed for wood polishing but the car industry professional Detailers make up a lot of Porter Cable Polisher sells and I would think we can suggest a polisher designed to Porter Cable just for us professional Detailers in mind? What do you think guys and gals?

Setec Astronomy
04-29-2006, 05:59 AM
Wow, those are good suggestions. I am also frustrated by the inconvenient on/off switch and speed control locations...not sure if a trigger control like a rotary would be better. The inability to put the machine down without potential for pad contamination is also an irritation, and of course, lighter would be nice. I really doubt the car polishing market is large enough to warrant a dedicated machine...anyone have any idea what the total 7224/7336 volume is and a guess as to what percentage are used for paint vs. sanding?

doged
04-29-2006, 06:59 AM
The PC is really a niche market tool. If anything I would like to see it become a little more powerful with a larger wheel.

Flatfour
04-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Maybe a trigger sensitive pad-system that starts as soon as you put pressure (on a car) and stops whenver you lift...

Accumulator
04-29-2006, 08:38 AM
I agree about the speed wheel! For detailing it oughta be far more accessible.

A more powerful motor would prevent the bogging/"jiggling" when pressure is applied.

A slightly different casing design would be more comfortable and would solve the tipping over/pad contamination issue (especially without the handle).

Less vibration would be great but I dunno how you`d accomplish that with a single-head d/a with a decent length of throw.

It does see sorta funny that nobody makes a made-for-detailing (electric) polishing machine like this except for Cyclo...must not think there`s enough money to be made to justify R&D and production & marketing.

People could always use an air-powered D/A like in body shops but I always found them less than user-friendly and I never tried one for polishing.

kb798
04-29-2006, 04:11 PM
I`d make it so quiet rather than having it sound like a helicopter is hovering right above you :p.