PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt 443 Burned paint?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_AZ Ferrari Man
04-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey guys, I was working this weekend and was using my trusty DW 443 on the paint. I have used it 3 times and have achieved awesome results. But after polishing the paint this time I felt the pad and the paint and both were warm after polishing. I am wondering that since it is a Random Orbit polisher can it still burn paint?

-Has anyone had this same problem?

-Is the size of the engine the culpret, or does the Porter Cable do the same thing?

Thanks for the help

Andrew

imported_cj99si
04-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Thats not a car polisher.

gbackus
04-28-2006, 08:35 PM

Neither is the porter cable. What`s your point?

imported_cj99si
04-28-2006, 08:39 PM
your burned paint.

imported_cj99si
04-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Do you have any pics?

Scottwax
04-28-2006, 08:58 PM
My pads get pretty warm with my PC 7336 when doing heavy polishing.

jdhutchin
04-28-2006, 09:17 PM
After polishing for a while, even da polishers tend to heat up. You can`t really burn paint with a random orbit. You`d have to post pictures to really tell, but burning refers to polishing away all the clear (and more), not heating up the paint.

imported_themightytimmah
04-29-2006, 12:45 AM
As long as it`s not noticeably hot (warm is OK), you should be fine. Generating heat is necessary to break down certain polishing abrasives, and I doubt that a RO is going to produce enough heat with 6-7" pads to do much incidental damage. Inspect the paint, and if there are no visible signs of damage, it should be fine.

imported_AZ Ferrari Man
04-29-2006, 02:02 AM
Yep, no visible signs of burn, it looks great, but was afraid that since the paint, pad, machine felt hot, that I have may have done some burning, that I couldn`t tell. But, from what I hear it is normal. Just concerned you know, thanks for the help.

P.S. Anyone have the DW, and the PC? What do you think as to its aggressiveness and heat build up?

Thanks again,

andrew

imported_Bence
04-29-2006, 08:05 AM
The DW443 is an awesome machine, which is perfect for our purposes. A little warming is even beneficial.

Reformulated: cj, please elaborate more on your assumptions. :secret

3Dog
04-29-2006, 08:27 AM
I really prefer the DW443....I like have just a little more speed too.

Joshua312
04-29-2006, 08:39 AM
I don`t know what cj99si thinks about polishers, or where those `insightful` infos/comments come from, but the DW443 is an awesome machine, which is perfect for our purposes. A little warming is even beneficial.

You dont think it was an insightful piece of information?? :) Read more of the intriguing input he seems to have on other topics...seems as if we know nothing compared to his wealth of knowledge - doesnt this guy remind you of the guy who was just banned from New York I think it was; who always caused problems with members.

Accumulator
04-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Warm is fine. Really warn/kinda hot is OK. HOT isn`t good but still doesn`t mean you`ve burned the paint. Consider how hot you can get things with a rotary without doing any actual damage..so hot you can`t hold your hand on the paint for long is often just a sign you need to back off a bit. For that matter, try holding your hand on a black car in AZ in July ;) When you actually *burn* paint you can clearly see the damage. Not gonna happen with a ~6.5" pad.

Porter Cable, Dewalt, Metabo, and numerous others- there are subtle differences between all these *random orbital sanders* but they`re all fine for polishing paint. PC just gets the most attention.

IIRC the Dewalt has a slightly higher speed range, right? A thumbs-up from Bence sounds good to me.

brwill2005
04-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Cyclo gets the paint warm also. Anytime you have a machine rotating/orbiting that quickly, you are going to generate friction. Add that to paint that might be warm already, or the heat from the polishers electric motor. Maybe next the Cyclo will not be considered a polisher.

Spilchy
04-29-2006, 05:28 PM

You came up with this conclusion based on what?

A quick Google search reveals:

Exceptionally well engineered, the DW 443 Random Orbital Sander is designed primarily for use in automotive body shops for sanding / polishing body work.

With my PC, the surface gets fairly warm if not "hot" sometimes depending on speed, pressure and how slowly I move the buffer.