PDA

View Full Version : Using newspaper to clean glass?

clnfrk
04-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Just wondering if it is okay to use crumpled up newspaper to clean tinted glass?

blackf0rk
04-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Sure. As long as the newspaper doesn`t have amonia in it ;)

braindead
04-28-2006, 07:00 PM
:doh

No, don`t use newspaper on tited windows. It WILL cause swirls... You are better off using a MF or Cotton cloth to clean them. How do I know? Cos I once cleaned the inside of a car with newspaper (it did the exterior so well) and I ended up swirling the tint film!

:sosad

strat81
04-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Depends on the tint. Factory tinted windows are generally tinted glass. Aftermarket tint is generally a mylar film applied to the inside of the glass. The mylar film scratches relatively easily. I use Plexus on a MF to clean my mylar tinted windows.

Crazy1
04-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Not Sure!! but why do you want smear newspaper ink on your windows and hands.

imported_cj99si
04-28-2006, 08:38 PM
I would think theres a couple pruducts now that are better than newspaper.

Accumulator
04-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Yeah, the newspaper thing is an old-school approach from back in the day when things were different. Even the *glass* was different, today`s automotive glass is *MUCH* softer than it used to be, higher polymer content. The idea was that the ink provided mild abrasion, which is not what you want on aftermarket tint anyhow.

Now that we have MFs and numerous good glass cleaners I can`t see any reason to use newspaper. Lots of reasons *not* to use it though, including the mess.