PDA

View Full Version : How much pressure to put on PC when using?

Kool_ZX3
04-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Some places say put about 20lbs of pressure when polishing.... some say let the machine do all the work.... Can anyone point me in the right direction on how much pressure to use for what? I will be using ssr2 and ssr1 with white polishing pads and being followed by NXT with a black pad.

I am just confused with conflicting information :scared: I don`t wanna screw up my car

joyriiide1113
04-28-2006, 01:47 PM
I heard a good recommendation from scottwax who does all his detailing with the pc!

He says to put enough to sort of slow the machine down, then takr off just enough pressure to let the machine continue to oscilate, but still holding down pressure.

imported_Picus
04-28-2006, 01:57 PM
I heard a good recommendation from scottwax who does all his detailing with the pc!

He says to put enough to sort of slow the machine down, then takr off just enough pressure to let the machine continue to oscilate, but still holding down pressure.

That`s exactly what I do and it seems to work. Just enough that you`re not bogging it down. And remember, move slowly.

imported_Bence
04-28-2006, 03:12 PM
There is NO exact way to tell how much pressure you should apply. It depends on the actual paint condition. Arm speeds & pressure are close friends, so if you have to correct heavier defects, bump it to speed 6, go with 0.5 inch/sec, and apply a fair amount of pressure. Compress the pad, and find the sweet spots of rotation/jiggle/bogging down. Never move quicker than 1.5 inch/sec when correcting only when applying spreadable LSPs. Etc., etc.

Kool_ZX3
04-28-2006, 03:25 PM
I would say mine are moderate defects, your usual defects..... What speed on the PC and what speed going across the surface do you recommend.... 4 or 5, about an inch a sec and moderate pressure?

imported_Bence
04-28-2006, 03:31 PM
My default speed is 6 when I correct defects. I vary the pressure and arm speeds. I almost standing still when a defect is heavier, and go a bit faster when it is lighter. After correcting, I lighten up the pressure completely, and let the pad rotate almost freely.

Products can play a role in the actual application technique. If you go for example with OP, you have virtually unlimited time. Choose the right amount of product and work it in real good as necessary.

a.k.a. Patrick
04-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Use only enough to manipulate its movement. Too much pressure is not good on machine, backing plate, or pads. The machine is telling the BP and pad to move but your applying resistance. Let the machine do the work. Proper products and pad choices are imperative.......

If you find yourself having to bare down, I would think your product/pad choices arent correct......

A PC has limited capabilites, keep that in mind.

Kool_ZX3
04-28-2006, 03:56 PM
What type of speed do you use patrick?

superstring
04-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Some places say put about 20lbs of pressure when polishing.... some say let the machine do all the work.... Can anyone point me in the right direction on how much pressure to use for what? I will be using ssr2 and ssr1 with white polishing pads and being followed by NXT with a black pad.

I am just confused with conflicting information :scared: I don`t wanna screw up my car

You may want to have a look at this write up on the Meguiar`s site on the use of the Meguiar`s G-100 (which is a re-branded PC).

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7034

a.k.a. Patrick
04-28-2006, 10:15 PM
What type of speed do you use patrick?

Im at 6 95% of the time.....I wish the d*** thing had a 7!!

DocHoliday
04-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Im at 6 95% of the time.....I wish the d*** thing had a 7!!isnt that the truth. I wonder why they limit the speed at 6. I wonder if I could modify that somone how like removing a rev limiter....hmm....

BigAl3
04-29-2006, 12:00 AM
I wonder why they limit the speed at 6.

i wonder that sometimes too. but, i`m sure if it went any faster there would be some probs (where would it end, we would keep asking more of the machine) as the pc has it`s limits.... kind of reminds me of the griots polisher, where it has a more powerful motor, but didn`t remove defects as well as the pc as tested by some....