PDA

View Full Version : Griot`s Car Wash - another fan

Pennypacker
04-28-2006, 12:59 AM
I really like Griot`s Car Wash. The only other shampoos I`ve used are Jeff`s Werkstatt Auto Body Wash, Optimum, TOL Bubble Bath, Meg`s Gold Class, and Z7. To me, Griot`s is the best--excellent lubricity, great smell, plenty of suds, not at all harsh. Plus it`s one of the cheapest shampoos (which is odd considering it`s Griot`s). This is mostly due to the fact that you only need one oz. for every two gallons of water. Most other washes require one oz. for every one gallon. Throw in the fact that you can also buy it in gallon-size and it`s an even better value.

jasonmac
04-28-2006, 03:28 AM
I really like Griot`s Car Wash. The only other shampoos I`ve used are Jeff`s Werkstatt Auto Body Wash, TOL Bubble Bath, Meg`s Gold Class, and Z7. To me, Griot`s is the best--excellent lubricity, great smell, plenty of suds, not at all harsh. Plus it`s one of the cheapest shampoos (which is odd considering it`s Griot`s). This is mostly due to the fact that you only need one oz. for every two gallons of water. Most other washes require one oz. for every one gallon. Throw in the fact that you can also buy it in gallon-size and it`s an even better value.

I agree! I thought NXT came close in many respects, (mainly lubricity), but was not as gentle as Griots on my LSPs. I also use the Wheel Cleaner diluted 1:1 (thanks for that Accumulator I think!!!).

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2006, 04:09 AM
Plus it`s one of the cheapest shampoos (which is odd considering it`s Griot`s). This is mostly due to the fact that you only need one oz. for every two gallons of water. Most other washes require one oz. for every one gallon. Throw in the fact that you can also buy it in gallon-size and it`s an even better value.

Well, I can`t argue with your results (I have only used the Griot`s wash once so far, and haven`t really formed an opinion yet), but I have to argue with your math. At $40 per gallon + shipping, washes that use 1 oz/gal would have to cost at least $20 a gal to give you the same mixed per-gallon price. My last gallon of GC cost me $10 (now $11 at Target), and last time I looked NXT could be had OTC at $6-7 for a half gal., so I wouldn`t characterize Griot`s wash as "one of the cheapest" (and I have the spreadsheet to back it up).

In the 16 oz size it fares a little better, but it`s still more expensive per wash than 1Z Perls, Poorboy`s SSS, or Zaino Z-7, in the same sizes...and what Autopian buys only a pint of shampoo? ;) Most car wash prices drop off dramatically when you get up into the bulk sizes, Griot`s doesn`t (that`s why the comparison works better for Griot`s in the small sizes, but, I mean, who is going to buy a pint of GC for $6 if you can get a gallon for $9 or $10?)

Anyway, while it may be the best wash, it`s not the least expensive, nor the most. Sorry for the rant, I just had to justify all the time I spent on that spreadsheet! :o :D

Driven-528e
04-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Sorry for the rant, I just had to justify all the time I spent on that spreadsheet!

I love it! only on autopia....

tom p.
04-28-2006, 10:42 AM
I luv Griot`s car wash - - it`s simply one of the best money can buy !

Derf
04-28-2006, 11:19 AM
I like it too. I`ve tried Pinnacle (which was really expensive and seemed a bit harsh) and P21S, but keep going back to the Griot`s. Feels slicker than any of the other products I`ve tried.

Pennypacker
04-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Well, I can`t argue with your results (I have only used the Griot`s wash once so far, and haven`t really formed an opinion yet), but I have to argue with your math. At $40 per gallon + shipping, washes that use 1 oz/gal would have to cost at least $20 a gal to give you the same mixed per-gallon price. My last gallon of GC cost me $10 (now $11 at Target), and last time I looked NXT could be had OTC at $6-7 for a half gal., so I wouldn`t characterize Griot`s wash as "one of the cheapest" (and I have the spreadsheet to back it up).

In the 16 oz size it fares a little better, but it`s still more expensive per wash than 1Z Perls, Poorboy`s SSS, or Zaino Z-7, in the same sizes...and what Autopian buys only a pint of shampoo? ;) Most car wash prices drop off dramatically when you get up into the bulk sizes, Griot`s doesn`t (that`s why the comparison works better for Griot`s in the small sizes, but, I mean, who is going to buy a pint of GC for $6 if you can get a gallon for $9 or $10?)

Anyway, while it may be the best wash, it`s not the least expensive, nor the most. Sorry for the rant, I just had to justify all the time I spent on that spreadsheet! :o :D

I suppose if you were to buy the Griot`s wash anyway, the gallon size is better value than the 16 oz`er. But yeah you`re right, there are other soaps that cost less. It`s tough to match the OTC products when it comes to pricing. Most of the CG stuff is cheaper, too. I think the CG gallons are in the $12-16 range. You`d have to buy two to match the Griot`s dilution ratio, which would make it $24-$32, compared to the Griot`s price of $40.

Nevertheless, in the 16-32 oz range, Griot`s is less expensive than many other boutique brands. I think Griot`s ends up being about 25 cents per gallon of mixed wash. Jeff`s Werkstatt is 47 cents. 1Z is 53 cents. Optimum is 37 cents. Zaino is by far one of the most expensive at 84 cents (and that`s using their mix instructions--I found that 2 to 3 capfulls per gallon of water was not nearly sudsy enough). Factor in the fact that the above-mentioned are not available in gallon sizes (at least, I don`t think they are) and the Griot`s soap is cheaper still (16 cents). I guess that`s the point I was trying to convey.

Two well-regarded soaps that are less expensive are TOL and PB SSS. TOL is about 19 cents per gallon. I`ve never used SSS, but apparently 1/4 to 1/2 oz is sufficient to wash a vehicle or two :eek:

All things considered though, and considering the quality of the soap, Griot`s is still one of the best values in my opinion. It`s a premium soap at a more than reasonable price. Now their wash bucket that costs $40...that`s another story.

Accumulator
04-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Well, I think everybody here knows how much I like the Griot`s Car Wash :D

Yeah, that was probably me saying to cut their wheel cleaner 50/50 with water. That`s what I used prior to just using a sorta-strong mixture of the Car Wash on my wheels. I still use the diluted wheel cleaner to wash my tires when they don`t need a proper/thorough cleaning, I just take care to keep it off the (sealed) wheels.