PDA

View Full Version : white dots in CF hood

satinsilverk20a
04-27-2006, 09:41 PM
i have a carbon fiber hood and it has thousands of tiiiiny white dots on it. i tried compound, wax, clarbar, polish, ect and nothing seems to take them out. the polish helped hide them, but thats not what i want. i dont relaly know what to do from here any suggestions?

new clearcoat?

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1116/img17656gd.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8912/img17666rj.jpg

you can only see em if you look REAL close, but they stand out in the sunlight, i used a flash light to get these shots

imported_truzoom
04-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Looks like what I`ve got all over my windshield. Small chips from exposure to the elements basically. So your hood has clearcoat? Is there a possibility it has a gel-coat?

imported_cj99si
04-27-2006, 09:53 PM
No, Its clear. If a good pilish doesnt take care of it, its probably chips or its in between the weave and the clear.

imported_themightytimmah
04-27-2006, 09:55 PM
No guarantees, it looks like its just a manufacturing defect, but you could try 2000 grit sandpaper followed by compound. If they`re in the top layer of the clear, it`ll take them out. If not, you`re either going to have to live with them, or shell out quite a few bucks.

admac
04-27-2006, 11:23 PM
is it clearcoated already? most cf doesn`t come cleared, it just has its own resin on it. the clear layer on top of the weave isn`t necessarily clearcoat. it could just be resin. it just looks pockmarked by sand and whatnot, but it might possibly just be air voids in the resin due to manufacturing.

BigChevMan
04-28-2006, 03:33 AM
carbon fiber does that naturally due to the weave. They are trapped air bubbles. Sometimes they burst and you have tiny holes all over your hood where the resin didn`t get soaked into the carbon fiber properly. I had to have an airbus engineer explain it to me because no one knew what I was talking about.

djmill99
04-28-2006, 08:02 AM
I have a few carbon items adorning my ride and would suggest being careful on how much you sand and polish the gel coat (From experience luckily on a low dollar part). You may be seeing the tops of the processing air pockets and if you go too deep you may, in some cases, expose an even larger void.

You could have several layers of clear applied and smoothed. This may fill in many of the voids and may also protect your hood? from yellowing common in automotive carbon products from UV exposure and manufacturers using non UV safe gel coats.

Don`t know if this helps, but anyway.... my .02

satinsilverk20a
04-28-2006, 02:58 PM
hey guys thanks so much!