PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Compound

Pages : [1] 2

blownvert
04-26-2006, 04:24 PM
What kind of detailing user would need this? I am deciding between this and optimum polish. I have alot of swirl marks and some scratches, but who would need a compound. If i got the compound, i would also get the polish to use after. Do I just need the optimum polish?

kikim
04-26-2006, 04:46 PM
I suggest you SSR2.5 followed by SSR1... and to finish with your preferred wax.

I used OPT and I find that the products PB correct the defects better and restore a beautiful painting.

chml17l
04-26-2006, 04:49 PM
You really need to provide more details about your particular situation to get any constructive feedback. It`s going to depend on a lot of variabes... Will you be using a PC or rotary? How hard/soft is your paint? How severe is the swirling? Do you need to remove/reduce etching from waterspots? Etc.

blownvert
04-26-2006, 05:21 PM
I will using a PC, i have a mustang, paint is black. I just want to do a whole makeover and remove all the swirls, scratches.

Scottwax
04-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Odds are, Optimum Compound will finish down LSP ready with a polishing pad even on black paint. Is it enough to remove your swirls? No way to tell without personally seeing your paint.

blownvert
04-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Odds are, Optimum Compound will finish down LSP ready with a polishing pad even on black paint. Is it enough to remove your swirls? No way to tell without personally seeing your paint.

so just get optimum compound or optimum polish also?

imported_Picus
04-26-2006, 06:52 PM
If I was choosing between the two I`d pick the compound every time. I find it does a better job of swirl removal with an aggressive pad but with a polishing pad it`ll finish down very nicely, akin to a finishing polish. It`s more versatile than the polish imo (which is good, but not as good at removing swirls).

DJ Trackie
04-26-2006, 08:41 PM
How would the OC finish with a yellow SFX pad?

Scottwax
04-26-2006, 08:52 PM
so just get optimum compound or optimum polish also?

I would. I`d also make up a bottle of 4 oz of the polish and 4 oz of the compound-the 50/50 mix works great and it LSP ready 99% of the time.

RAG
04-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Just my 2 cents...even though I love OP and OC, MANY times I have been able to see "micro-gashing" left via PC on black (the abrasive particles used are "relatively large). But it really depends on the paint hardness, pad selection, and pressure applied. Therefore, these are not my favorite polish for finishing on black. A MUCH MUCH safer bet would be to get some of that new Blackfire Scratch Resistang polish or the PO106FF...they cost more, but are worth every penny. And if these products are not strong enough to tackle the swirls, Optimum Compound won`t do it either - you`ll need to go with IP or DACP (and then follow either of these with Blackfire or PO106FF).

DJTrackie...to answer your question - NOT very good on black, that`s for sure!

03COBRA
04-27-2006, 11:13 AM
I would. I`d also make up a bottle of 4 oz of the polish and 4 oz of the compound-the 50/50 mix works great and it LSP ready 99% of the time.

Here is Optimum Hyper Compound/Polish mix.

I went over it one time. The polish was still very wet when I wiped it off so I had a lot more working time left. But I wanted to see the reuslts. That`s why there might be some slight haze, just imagine if you work it until it breaks down completely...

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/227mikes7.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/227mikes8.jpg

RAG
04-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Yeah...if you look real close you will see tons of little marks or gashes that all of the optimum abrasives (polishes or compounds) leave when applied via DA... noticable on black vehicles...you can see them under halogens or even see the "haze" they create under direct sunlight.

On a related note: I deed a green Jeep Cherokee yesterday and decided to experiment with various compound with the PC (I almost always use the rotary for cutting, but the Jeep had too many obstacles to work around). I used the yellow SFX and found that even though OHC removed more swirls than IP, DACP actually removed more defects than OHC (but it really close...so I`d go with OHC simply for the lack of dust); actually, I ended up stepping up to the might PG which was far stronger than any of the aforemented polishes. I finished with two passes of OP and the white SFX pad...came out great.

blownvert
04-27-2006, 04:16 PM
will those particles go away when i apply glaze and keep going over it with other things?

Scottwax
04-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah...if you look real close you will see tons of little marks or gashes that all of the optimum abrasives (polishes or compounds) leave when applied via DA... noticable on black vehicles...you can see them under halogens or even see the "haze" they create under direct sunlight.

Actually, I think that is what is left of the swirls giving it that look. I only have a problem on really soft paints with Optimum polishes using the DA. Of course, soft paint is tough for any polish.

Scottwax
04-27-2006, 06:13 PM
will those particles go away when i apply glaze and keep going over it with other things?

I normally follow Optimum Compound with a lighter polish, regardless of how well it finishes down.