PDA

View Full Version : 3M super duty rubbing compound....

tommyortom
04-26-2006, 01:48 PM
I think my friend has some of this that i can use. im using a porter cable....so if im going to be compounding/cutting with this, should i use an orange or most aggresive foam pad, or should i try a wool pad?

also....is this stuff strong than SSR 2.5??

tommyortom
04-26-2006, 01:51 PM
this is the stuff right here im pretty sure

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GSWTQJLCVFbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/gvel_GSRKGRPJV4gl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

gbackus
04-26-2006, 02:04 PM
I would stay far, far, far away from that stuff.

imported_themightytimmah
04-26-2006, 02:52 PM
That`s a 1000grit leveling compound, mainly intended for bodyshop finishing after wetsanding. It`s easily on par with if not stronger than SSR3. You could in theory use it via PC, but honestly, if you aren`t using it with a rotary, it is just going to be a headache. If it were me, I would use the super duty by hand on major scratches and scuffs (and you *can* go through paint by hand, don`t ask me how I know), then do the entire car with SSR2.5/orange cutting followed by SSR1/white polishing. If you need to use a heavy compound via PC, Menzerna PowerGloss is really the only way to go.