PDA

View Full Version : Center line paint on my new ride

cbboard
04-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Last week I was driving down I-35 south of Dallas in an area of road construction. Before I knew it, the front end of my new silver Land Rover LR3 was speckled with white paint from the guys painting the center lines. I have been reading this forum for several months now in preparation for my new ride, now before I can even wax it the first time, I`ve got to figure out how to get this dang paint off. The paint is on the silver metal, silver plastic, black trim, and headlight plastic. If anyone has any suggestions for getting the paint off, I would be super appreciative. Thank you much!

D Tailor
04-26-2006, 08:38 AM
I would recommend "Goof Off" aerosol and some plastic razor blades. The razors can be got from TOL and the goof off from Lowe`s. I`ve used the aerosol on serveral vehicles successfully. I`ve actually only used it with MF`s, but I would think the razors might be useful on some of the surfaces, or just good to get for the future.

2.5RS
04-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Pardon the newbie here, but wouldn`t clay be more appropriate? I`ve read a lot of people here recommending clay for overspray situations as well as for new vehicles to remove the rail dust etc...

Just my .02

Hey, Moe!
04-26-2006, 09:23 AM
I would try the clay first. I gotta believe that it pays to always try the least invasive possibility first. I`ve never had to use anything like Goof-Off or razor blades, though. Lucky, I guess.

cbboard
04-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the help! I think I am going to try the clay first, and if it doesn`t work out too well, then I`ll go a bit stronger with the Goof Off. If you have any other suggestions, let me know. Thanks again!

BobD
04-26-2006, 12:42 PM
I would try clay and if that does not work the plastic razor blade route.

topnotchtouch
04-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Just keep in mind that the typical clay kits are pretty soft and "might" not remove the overspray if it is too heavy. There are clay kits with stiffer clay that might be more agressive at removing overspray. Clay does come in slightly varying degrees of hardness and I do believe those more designed for overspray have a fairly stiff clay. Just a thought before you go to something like goof off and plastic razor blades. I too have never had to resort to the plastic razor blade route.

jvriii1942
04-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Thumb nail has done it for me. I tried clay and didn`t have any luck. Lacquer thinner works to but can be a little risky. Wax after useing thinner. I will try some Goof Off to see how that works for tar and overspray.

Tip: Put a light coat of wax down and don`t remove it. This helps the plastic razor glide over the clearcoat and under the road paint