PDA

View Full Version : help with pad/product selection for mazda paint (and some others)

imported_Astral
04-25-2006, 08:47 PM
I have access to a PC DA polisher, so my springtime plans include the #1 most important thing:

1. Remove light swirls and minor scratches from Winning Blue Mazda paint (on my RX-8). Polish said paint.

However, I am also planning on helping some of my friends out. So I will also want to:

2. Remove swirls on a darn swirled Black Mica Mazda Protege5. Also some moderate and major scratches (just try my best on those, not shooting to remove all the way). I assume that on this dark color, I will have to follow a harsh swirl remover with a light polishing step.

3. Do my best on removing major scratches on a black 2001 Ford Taurus. Also swirls.

4. Remove moderate-light swirls, minor and medium scratches on a Blue Subaru Impreza.

5. (The least important) Remove minor swirls, minor scratches and polish up to a nice shine a silver Honda Accord.

So out of the three most important categories, we have Mazda paint and Ford paint... anything I should watch out for with either of those?

So.... with that in mind, I am leaning towards these products:

* Poorboy SSR 1 (for light, final-step polishing)

* Poorboy SSR 2.5 (for day-to-day swirl removal)

* Poorboy SSR 3 (for last-effort maximum swirl removal)

(Is SSR 2 worth getting at all?)

For pads, I am not sure what brand to choose. Let`s consider Lake County VC pads:

* 1 orange, 2 white, 1 black (from this kit (http://www.autogeek.net/bf100.html))

* 6" backing plate

* Should I get a more aggressive pad? Like a yellow pad? (This may come in handy for some very scratched/swirled areas?)

I was also contemplating getting some 4" pads, for small areas like A-pillars and such.

Should I get a cleaner like AIO? Is there something better than AIO out there? Werkstatt Prime Acrylic?

Thanks!

imported_Astral
04-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Danase has 7.5" Lake Country VC curved edge pads -- are those any better/worse than the 6.5" Wolfgang VC pads from elsewhere?