PDA

View Full Version : Ext. dressing runs next day...Y?

ONA
04-24-2006, 12:50 PM
I`m learning auto detailing. Tend to not do well with ext. trim. Runs next day and ruins the mat finish. What am I doing wrong?

imported_cj99si
04-24-2006, 12:51 PM
your probably using to much.

gbackus
04-24-2006, 12:57 PM
You need to try a more water resistant dressing. I like Meg`s #38

imported_smprince1
04-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Most dressings tend to run in the rain if applied too heavy and/or just applied and left to sit.

In my experience, the best defense against this is to apply a thin even coat, let the dressing sit on the trim for a set amount of time, and then thoroughly buff with a dry towel to remove any excess and burnish the dressing.

Shelbrain
04-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Most dressings tend to run in the rain if applied too heavy and/or just applied and left to sit.

In my experience, the best defense against this is to apply a thin even coat, let the dressing sit on the trim for a set amount of time, and then thoroughly buff with a dry towel to remove any excess and burnish the dressing.

This is the method I use. I use Poorboy`s Bold n` Bright which leaves a nice finish. One thing I cannot resolve is if the car sits outside over night, the dew gets on the tires and when I start driving, it slings on the side panels. Not nearly as much as if I had not buffed it dry, but there is still some nonetheless.

Vw Gti
04-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Also make sure the trim surface is clean. I would think aplpying to a dirty surface would just make it falls off or run off since no contact is being made with the actual trim. I like Poorboys Natural Look. I use it on the outside valances and on the inside of my textured VW dashboard. Go buy a few dollars worth sponge and cut it into square pieces and use that to apply. If you use a normal rag to apply you will have lines on your trim due to uneven contact..I leanred that the hard way :P.

White95Max
04-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Clean the trim well. Apply protectant, and buff off very thoroughly. Using too much and/or not buffing well enough are two prime causes of running.

livinlowkey
04-24-2006, 07:35 PM
I have done a few cars here in Florida that will continue to rub black until the rubber is completely dry and almost falling apart. The sun is very harsh on the trim and will fade very fast if its not dressed regularly