PDA

View Full Version : Alleged 3 year paint protection???

rmglynn
04-21-2006, 04:34 AM
Land Rover are offering a friend paint protection gaurnteed for 3yrs on his Range Rover Sport @ £299. I know this is probably a load of BS but do any of you know anything about these `pretection systems` are they just an off the shelf sealnt?

imported_cj99si
04-21-2006, 05:00 AM
Theres no such thing.

EMazda3S
04-21-2006, 06:15 AM
No way. I don`t buy it at all. Those things are usually dealer installed and come with some kind of contract that states to get that protection, one must "renew" to coating (usually again at the dealership) for another fee for the whole deal to be valid.

If there was a decent sealant to be had that lasted that long, I think we would surely have many pepole here mentioning it and/or using it, at least through the harsh Winter months instead of taking a chance and possibly being unprotected even for a short time if/when something possibly wears off.

Zaino, Klasse, FMJ,FK1,Werkstatt,Ex-P, etc. etc. yes but 3 year protection with no renewal....no way.

BTW, I have a friend here at work who bought into this and his car looks horrible after 2 years of doing nothing to it. He still refuses to do anything because he still thinks he`s completely protected. He even refuses to read the contract that came with his purchase of this so called 3 year protection.

Eric

strat81
04-21-2006, 06:21 AM
Paint Protection... protection from what? Water spots? Etching? Rust? Missiles? Pagans? Shopping Carts? Missile toting pagans in shopping carts? Bug splatter?

Sounds like a scam to me.

imported_NT2SHBBY
04-21-2006, 07:04 AM
Missile toting pagans in shopping carts?

:funnypost :lol:

I think my neighbor might qualify for that role....but she`s too fat to fit in a shopping cart :nervous:

lakbum
04-21-2006, 07:05 AM
I just wanted to add that I fell for it when I got my G35...It was my first car purchase and I was caught up in the emotions. Never again...for the price they charged me ($750), could`ve got myself a car bra or an extensive collection of detailing tools.

D Tailor
04-21-2006, 08:22 AM
From what I have gathered, in the contract is the fine print for three year protection. Many of them say that you need to come in for an application every "x" amount of months or you in effect void the protection claim and the warranty if anything should happen.

imported_Picus
04-21-2006, 09:32 AM
This sounds like a "Xzilon" deal - it`s a high durabilty sealant than requires you to come back every 6 months for re-application. No one ever does so it`s an easy couple hundred $$$ for the dealer.

the other pc
04-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Modern paint will stay on a car for more than three years if you do absolutely nothing at all to it whatsoever.

If they did nothing but wave chicken bones over it and chant the lyrics to Pirates of Penzance the paint isn`t likely to fail and the suckers who bought the "protection" would think they got their £299`s worth.

They do put on some generic wax or whatever but he can get stuff that`s better for ten quid and do it himself.

Since most dealers swirl the snot out of any car they touch, the car would be better off if they did just wave chicken bones. ...I am the very model of a modern Major General,...

PC.

jchetty
04-21-2006, 10:23 AM
i agree with others...tell your friend to invest the money into a clear 3m bra for the front end

Daragh
04-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Hello There, Some of the Paint Protection Systems are very good but unfortunately for most motor dealers, these schemes are about profit not protection. The prep work carried out beforehand is paramount. Valeting staff in many dealerships are just not up to the job. They are not experienced / skilled enough, to be using machine polishers, nor do they know the best application methods (to avoid swirls / micro-marring etc). Add low quality wash mitts, poor washing techniques, cheap microfibre, time constraints etc to the mix and you get poor overall results. If done properly however by a craftsman / pro detailer, Full Strength Sealants like A-Glaze Plus, AutoGlym LifeShine etc. will deliver long term protection. They will protect for many years unlike off the shelf products, it`s just that they are not ultra low maintenance solutions, as dealer packages always seem to suggest.