PDA

View Full Version : Fine Scratch on Instrument Cluster - How to Proceed?

intence
04-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Today I noticed a very fine scratch on the instrument cluster of my wife`s new car. The scratch is quite light, and you can only really see it when light hits the cluster the right way. Unfortunately, I know it`s there, and it`s driving me nuts. I can just barely feel it with my nail.

What would be the best way to try and get ride of it? Should I try using Plexus first, or buy Novus 1 and 2, start with 1, and then try 2 (and finish with 1)?

What about applicators, can anyone recommend the best way to clean the cluster before I start, and what applicator to use for Plexus/Novus (and where is a good place to buy the applicator locally, perhaps a brand that AutoZone or PepBoys might carry?)

Also, is the 3M Plastic Polish any good? My main concern would be getting rid of the scratch and not making things worse, so i`m looking for the gentlest product that should help hide/remove it.

Thanks in Advance for any advice or recommendations.

natebood
04-19-2006, 10:26 PM
I had several scratches on my cluster that were removed with Meguiars PlastX. If I remember correctly, I just used a microfiber to buff in and remove. Didn`t do squat for my headlights but it did work for the cluster.

intence
04-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Isn`t PlastX more abrasive than Plexus and Novus? Were there any ill effects from Plastx? I want to try and use whatever is the most gentle, but also the most likely to remove the scratch.

natebood
04-20-2006, 02:00 AM
I`ve had no ill effects using PlastX. It`s not very abrasive and is perfectly safe to use from my experiences plus it can usually be found OTC. I`ve never used the other two products so maybe someone else can chime in on those.

braindead
04-20-2006, 04:17 AM
:cry:

I pulled out the instrument cluster from a 20 year old car last night to clean, had enough of the fine scratches. It had one large 2 inch diagonal scratch or "trench" as I look at it!

Used PlastX with a round foam applicator pad & mf to clean the residue. As it was out of the car, it was a lot easier to work & apply some pressure. Spent half an hour on it.

It turned out quite well, really cleaned up the larger scratches & almost cleared the trench. Will have another go on the weekend to see how much more I can renew the cluster.

However, if you look close enough you can still see very minor swirls. That`s the thing you may have to consider by trying to remove a larger scratch, is it worth creating that monster you never can tame!!!

Maybe easier & saner to just get a new cluster or cover?

I dunno...

:sosad

intence
04-20-2006, 08:11 AM
In general, does the dash have to be removed to replace the cluster cover? I know it will vary from car to car. If there`s just a few trim pieces, then I might just replace the whole thing. Of course, giving it a go with Novus or something probably cant` hurt, right?

imported_NT2SHBBY
04-20-2006, 08:12 AM
damn...more product to buy :( maybe I`ll try some AIO on it instead :think:

intence
04-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Will Plus and Novus also leave traces of micro-scratches? I was thinking of buying PlastX over the counter, but as mentioned above, would rather start with the most gentle product available (but one that should remove the scratch)