PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Detailer

ptim
04-19-2006, 08:57 AM
I looked out my office window this morning and saw a mobile deatiler, working on someones truck. He was using a long handle brush and a 5 gallon bucket. Bumper, tires, wheels and of course the truck got the brush treatment. I went and talked to him and asked him about his products, Mothers and Meguiars applied by hand and taking off with a buffer, I wish I had my camera, swirls/holograms galore.

Joshua312
04-19-2006, 09:10 AM
I see some of these nut jobs going into my local supply shop and it seems they have no clue what they should even be picking up when they go there. I just want to knock some sense into them..

My question is - do you think they know any better and just want to screw people out of their money? Or have no clue about real detailing techniques someone in their position should be using?

jvriii1942
04-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Probably no clue.

Mattress
04-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Damn, same thing 2 days ago...

since im starting my business i had to go check out this "detailer" that my x called and told me she saw working down the road ina business parking lot...

I got down there and started talking to him...

Asked questions, pricing, products, etc...

He uses fillers and no real technique... 1 step polish for his "FULL DETAIL"

He didnt know much about paint correction.. asked him what he did in his process... that was all messed up as well...

And to boot... While i was talking to him, apperently he leaned on a chrysler crossfire... about 5 minutes later a guy from the offices came down all mad, and shouted " hey, i didnt pay $45,000 to have you lean on my car".... he was watching out his 6th floor window and came down to move his car...

after talking with the guy i was reassured my business will do great...

Chuckled all the way back to work i did! :getdown

imported_Picus
04-19-2006, 11:58 AM
I should take a picture of the M3 parked outside right now. I walked by it this morning as the sun was hitting it and WHAM, buffer holograms like you wouldn`t believe. I almost wanted to leave my card on the guys windshield. :(

Rocket
04-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Someone I used to work with had a black Civic and she would have her dad detail it every so often and always talked about what a great job he did and how great it looked after. One day she came up after he "detailed" it and it had swirl marks and scratches like I`ve never seen. It looked worse than it did before he touched it

Scottwax
04-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Job security. :)

I had to polish and reseal my customer`s Rolls today because whatever dressing the dealer used flung all down the sides of the car and wouldn`t even wash off completely. Took 3-4 passes with a blue Propel finishing pad and Prime to completely remove it. Ended up turning a $35 wash into a $110 exterior detail.

the other pc
04-19-2006, 03:47 PM
... do you think they know any better and just want to screw people out of their money? Or have no clue about real detailing techniques someone in their position should be using?Probably just clueless. He may well believe he`s doing a good job.

It`s not like they teach this stuff in school. Even the car magazines barely talk about it and what little they do pass along is often bad, or at least severely outdated, information.

It seems like the few that do know are the ones that learn it from an (even rarer) experienced mentor who does know what they`re doing. Some of those guys learned in the school of hard knocks. Unfortunately most guys learn little or nothing but do knock peoples` cars really hard.

Just like the general public, most guys just flail away at it.

At least now that we have the internet we can learn from one another without having to be face to face.

PC.