PDA

View Full Version : Cracking or Spiderwebbing

frosty5011
04-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Hi Everyone....new to the site. Your site was mentioned (in a positive way) on TheGSResources forum which I belong to.

I kind of browsed through it for an hour or so, trying to see if I could find a thread which would help me get rid of, what I had thought was called "spiderwebbing", but that seems not to be the case. My wife`s car has what I guess you all describe or refer to as "cracked clearcoat". She has a little Dodge Avenger with what used to be a real nice paintjob until a few months ago, when she hit a dog (no fear.... the dog is OK).

There is no dent or anything, but the flexible front lower spoiler/mask portion of the car is full of little lines that can be seen in sunlight at certain angles. Sometimes you cannot see it, but most of the time.....especially in good light, it is very visible.

From what I was able to gather from here so far, it looks like there`s nothing that can be done except for a repaint....is this correct?

jvriii1942
04-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Welcome Frosty.

Sounds like a repaint to me.

the other pc
04-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi frosty5011, :welcome to Autopia.

Unfortunately, jvriii1942`s right. Cracking paint (http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/cracking/index.cfm) can`t be fixed (or stopped) without sanding it off and shooting new paint.

PC.

Accumulator
04-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Welcome to Autopia!

When you get it repainted, make sure they use a "flex additive" as the paint on flexible parts is supposed to be special in this regard, to avoid *just* the problem you have. Sounds like whoever did the repaint cut a corner there.