Pages : [1] 2 3

coupe
04-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Ok every spring i:

Wash

dry

clay bar

zymol

Then after i do that in the spring after my car comes out of storage i just wash and apply zymol cleaner wax every 3 weeks.

I want a new way, i think i can get a better shine, depth and vibrance out of this paint.

So ive been doing alot of reading here and this is what i think might work.

wash (megs NXT car wash)

dry

clay bar (mothers kit)

wash (megs NXT car wash)

dry

megs paint cleaner

Megs #7 polish

Megs show car glaze (i forget the number) or megs #26 yellow wax?

S100 paste wax

Is there anything to add or remove from here?

Any tips in using these products?

Im tryin to stay with OTC.

Im confused on P21S. I went to my local harley dealer and all they had was S100. I asked the parts people about P21S and i was told they renamed it as S100, i need to know if this is true (you know how parts people can be). If its not true then i need to know which is better for a red car S100 or P21S?

On the megs paint cleaner and #7, it says to not let the product dry, is this a big deal or does it not really matter?

I read the word marring alot, what does that mean? I searched it but no one says what it means.

This is what my car looks like after a wash, dry, clay, wash, dry and then zymol cleaner wax. I think i can do better.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/426149/9

coupe
04-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Bump

Anyone?

Accumulator
04-19-2006, 09:10 AM
I`ll try to tackle a few of your Qs.

"Marring" is just that...below-surface defects such as scratches, swirls, "spiderwebs", holograms, etching, etc. The sort of stuff you remove through mechanical/abrasive methods. This sort if thing is often what makes paint look bad and IMO most of it comes from improper washing.

Meguiar`s #7 *is* their "showcar glaze". They call it a "pure polish" which means it`s nonabrasive. Won`t help with marring, it`s sorta like "make up for cars". I don`t use it on basecoat/clearcoat paints but I like it on single stage (others *do like it on clearcoats so see what *you* think). No advantage to letting it dry, just makes it harder to buff off. There`s a thread here somewhere in which Mike Phillips of Meguiar`s explains how to use it.

Yeah, S100 is relabeled P21S.

Most products look the same on any color, especially since most cars are clearcoated (clearcoat is clearcoat and yours has it). There are some very minor differences but IMO 95% of how things look comes from the prep- the polishing. Get it the way you want it before you apply your wax.

I`d get a mildly abrasive polish, perhaps Meguiar`s #80. Use that to get the paint looking *really* good before applying your #26 (with the #7 before it or not, I doubt it`ll contribute all that much but it might). Topping with the S100 might make it a little shinier but the #26 isn`t bad.

Since stuff like #80 isn`t always OTC, I`d expand your definition of OTC ;) Try looking in the yellow pages for an autobody/paint supply place. These shops often have a scad of great products on the shelf and they can order stuff too. My local place even has the discontinued 3M PI-III RC (05933) and MG (05937), which are great polishes that work by hand/PC/rotary. If you could find some of the 05937 that`d be a great choice for a one-shot polish.

I wouldn`t use the Zymol (i.e., Turtle Wax) cleaner wax. It`s not bad, but it only has some mild chemical cleaners in it (nothing for marring) and it`s just not that great of a product. IMO you`ll do better with a multi-step approach that starts with a mildly abrasive polish.

Edit: the Meg`s paint cleaner (Deep Crystal Step #1) is also nonabrasive. You don`t let any Meg`s products dry completely except their waxes/sealants. Buff off while still wet.

coupe
04-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Megs has a #7 "polish" and a 7 show car "glaze", they are 2 different things from what i see, just dont know which is better for what im tryin to do.

Does this look a little better then for an approach at this?

wash (megs NXT car wash)

dry

clay bar (mothers kit)

wash (megs NXT car wash)

dry

megs paint cleaner

Megs #80 polish

Megs 7 show car glaze

S100 paste wax

What ones can i apply more than one coat with?

All applied with an orbital buffer.

Better?

Im gonna check with my local auto body supply and see what they have or can order.

The only reason i want OTC is becuase i order EVERYTHING off the net. Im starting to hate it, if i need a refill or replacement im stuck with ordering it, paying shipping and then waite 3 days-3 weeks. Its nice being able to pick up what you need on your way home from work lol

coupe
04-19-2006, 10:34 AM
If im using S100 i can pretty much skip megs #26 then right?

Basicly what i need is a good mildly abrasive polish right?

So my aproach should look more like:

wash (megs NXT car wash)

dry

clay bar (mothers kit)

wash (megs NXT car wash)

dry

megs paint cleaner

Megs #80 polish

S100 paste wax

Should i use a S/G inbetween Megs #80 and S100?

uzj100
04-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Try looking in the yellow pages for an autobody/paint supply place. These shops often have a scad of great products on the shelf and they can order stuff too. My local place even has the discontinued 3M PI-III RC (05933) and MG (05937), which are great polishes that work by hand/PC/rotary. If you could find some of the 05937 that`d be a great choice for a one-shot polish.

I live near an auto paint and supply place that stocks or can order Meg`s and 3M stuff. I just got a qt of 3M 05973, which I was told is the same as Perfect It II Fine Cut 39002. I also have 3M 39003 Finishing Material, and 3M 39009 Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Glaze-Dark. Are any of these the same as or similar to the products you`re talking about?

coupe
04-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Anyone else wanna comment on my products or what i should be doing?

Accumulator
04-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Landcruiser- I prefer the PI-III stuff by a wide margin but then it`s what I`m familiar with.

I`m not familiar with 05973, but if you meant 05937 (transposed the numbers?) then *NO* the PI-II FCRC is different. The PI-II FCRC is pretty similar to the 05933 PI-III RC.

Coupe- I`d continue to order off the net if it means getting the right stuff without a huge hassle.

There`s only one #7 but there have been a few different labels. It`s all the same stuff, has been since forever (before my family started using it in the `50s). The polish and the glaze are different descriptions for the same product.

You can use the #80 more than once and will probably have to since it`s pretty mild.

You can apply multiple applications of wax but I`d spit-shine it (do a search to learn about this).

coupe
04-19-2006, 02:07 PM
OK i went to my local body shop supply store.

This is what i found out.

#80 polish is so light that it wont do what i need it to.

#7 is so light also that it wont do what i need it to.

I picked up "megs mirror glaze body shop professional swirl free polish". Supposedly this is fine/medium cut and will do what i need it to do.

I also picked up "race glaze/sealant", supposedly this stuff is the shize and the more coats i apply the more gloss i will get.

Polish sucks to figure out, most are soooo light cut that they are almost useless.

uzj100
04-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Landcruiser- I prefer the PI-III stuff by a wide margin but then it`s what I`m familiar with. I`m not familiar with 05973, but if you meant 05937 (transposed the numbers?) then *NO* the PI-II FCRC is different. The PI-II FCRC is pretty similar to the 05933 PI-III RC.

:LOLOL I thought maybe you were talking about the 05973, but had transposed the #s. Now if you transpose yours and I transpose mine, we`ll have a totally new product! Anyway, just to be sure, I`ve got the bottle of PI-II 05973 right beside me :lol

Just thought that this might be the product you`re looking for re-done a bit and reintroduced?

Accumulator
04-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Landcruiser- Heh heh, we can make this stuff even more complicated than it already is, huh? I`d forgotten that the larger size of PI-II FCRC is 05973, I have the smaller bottle (39002 IIRC).

The only 3M stuff I really like is the old PI-III RC/MG (05933/05937), but that`s just me. Nah, they`re not gonna reintroduce them, they came up with new stuff that I don`t like as well. Hope they work OK for you, don`t let me discourage you with my preferences :o

Coupe- Dunno about that advice you`re getting, I`d bet good money they`ve never used #80 or they wouldn`t say that sort of stuff (sounds like they got their info from the older, incorrect, Meguiar`s abrasiveness chart that had #80 incorrectly positioned as being milder than it really is ;) ). #82 SFP the clearcoat-friendly version of the #9 swirlmark remover, just a tiny bit more abrasive than the #9 which isn`t much. But anyhow, see how it works for you. Plan to use it a few times and if it doesn`t cut it get either the #80 or the more aggressive #83.

coupe
04-20-2006, 04:32 AM
Thats basicly what im gonna do, if it dont do what i need it to im gonna try the #83. He looked at my car and said i wouldnt need much more than the "megs mirror glaze body shop professional swirl free polish". He did say that the #80 just wont be abbrasive enough for my marring and light scratches.

Accumulator
04-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Well, I don`t think he knows as much as he thinks he does but see how it works out. All that really matters here is getting the paint looking good and you won`t know for certain which products are required until you try something.

coupe
04-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Yup thats the plan, i didnt take his opinion as gosple.

He even said if it dont work come back and get #83.

coupe
04-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Now im confused.

I cant find what i bought yesturday on megs site....

This is what its called BUT there isnt a number on it like this and the scale on my bottle is much higher.

http://meguiars.com/?pro-cleaner-polishs/Body-Shop-Professional-Swirl-Free-Polish