PDA

View Full Version : How much to tip a pro detailer?

noobian
04-18-2006, 07:29 PM
do the same guidelines as wait staff apply? 20%?

-KGB-
04-18-2006, 07:32 PM
I tip 15% in rests. If they go above and beyond I will go 20% but will for sure go less if the service sucks.

Tipping is getting out of hand, next thing you know tipping will be 50% of the damn bill.

BobD
04-19-2006, 04:50 AM
I tip 15% in rests. If they go above and beyond I will go 20% but will for sure go less if the service sucks.

Tipping is getting out of hand, next thing you know tipping will be 50% of the damn bill.

I agree. I never even take tips. I figure they are paying me to do an expected job from the start and anything I do beyond is up to me to do. These sort of threads always remind me of two things. The one scene in "Reservoir Dogs" where Mr. Pink won`t tip and a "Seinfeld" episode where Jerry is looking at moving into an apartment with a fireplace and a garden and he ask about tipping the wood delivery guy and the gardner.

a.k.a. Patrick
04-19-2006, 05:22 AM
I gladly accept tips! Ive been tipped anywhere fom 10% to 30%. It means a gret deal , as a service provider to have been tipped. Having been tipped means I have unexepectedly exceeded there expectations, and they appreciate my work.

Setec Astronomy
04-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Not to go off topic, but I don`t think it`s really fair to compare "wait staff"...that is one of the job categories that is exempt from minimum wage requirements, so employers can legally pay them $2 an hour or something...so really the only money they make is from tips. My personal opinion is it`s kind of silly to tip a detailer if he is the owner; might be a different story if it was a larger operation and you know the detailer is not seeing much of what you are paying.

noobian
04-19-2006, 11:26 AM
so, it sounds like tipping is not really expected...?

BobD
04-19-2006, 11:37 AM

I don`t expect it. LOL There are some people that think they have to tip for everything though. I saw this a lot in Vegas. :lol Tourist think tipping makes them look like they have more money or something.

imported_Picus
04-19-2006, 11:56 AM
I don`t go in expecting it either. Almost everyone offers me 15-20%, and it is appreciated, but I let them know it`s not in any way required for me to put in 100% every time I see them.

Regarding tipping in general, I`d like to see it dialed back a bit too. It`s getting so that you have to tip everyone for everything now. Seems kind of silly to me...

racingbeat
04-19-2006, 12:05 PM
I usually tip unless its the owner, because usually its an employee working on my car. And in these parts the employee usually looks like he`s from another country and probably making a low wage. I don`t think you could pay me to do that type of hard work all day and no work on rainy days. I always tip the employee at least $5.

erik7
04-19-2006, 01:37 PM
I basically do the same, if the guy is the owner, no tip, but if it`s an employee, I tip.

jimmie jam
04-19-2006, 02:54 PM
why would you EXPECT a tip. if you do over the top work, you should be charging accordingly. i would not tip because it is an agreed upon service/fee. if you have to tip to GET an expected level of work you are using the wrong people. if you tip because you GOT a better than expected level of work you are STILL using the wrong people. i am a professional and i provide a professional product. i charge ACCORDINGLY. thats why i`m not inexpensive, up front. but that`s just my opinion. :)

Scottwax
04-19-2006, 03:15 PM

Not expected but appreciated. I feel I charge a fair price for my services, if someone wants to toss in more, I am certainly fine with that. However, I don`t base my prices on what someone may add as a tip.

Normally, regular weekly customers tip generously at Christmas. 3 of them gave me $100 bills this past year. :)