PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wax won`t come off!

G E M
05-16-2003, 04:53 PM
I`m your basic know-nothing car washer. I only wax my car once in a great while. Anyway, the last time I started to wax my car the wax wouldn`t come off when buffed. I now have white swirls all over my hood. My brother tried some color restorer he had and the instant the rag touched the car it stained and wouldn`t come off. He tried some on the trunk and it also left a permanent mark. Can I do anything or is a new paint job my only hope?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

NattyBumppo
05-16-2003, 06:33 PM
Can you please give us very specific, detailed info regarding your steps, products, application method, etc etc.

Natty

ACE
05-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Natty is right, you should post exactly what you did, but since it`s only wax, the excess should come off with some quick detail spray like Eagle One, which should be available in your local auto store. If that fails, a Dawn wash should remove it as well, along with most of the wax so you can start over the right way.

kneedeep
05-16-2003, 06:42 PM
G E M: It sounds like you may have put some wax on paint thats already oxidized ? It appears to have settled in, this is what would be causing difficult removal....Like NB said, you need to be more specific however, this would allow us to prescribe something to you....At this point, I would go with a cleaner, off the shelf consider Mothers pre wax cleaner.
That should remove light oxidation and prep your surface for further work, i.e. polish, wax/sealant....If you think your cars surface has more significant oxidation (if indeed thats a symptom), consider 3M med cleaner (3M™ One Step Cleaner Wax Medium Oxidation Remover 39066). This will get you thru a world of trouble, in a hurry, and make your surface acceptable for further Carnauba applications....

Good Luck..

NattyBumppo
05-16-2003, 07:18 PM
The reason why I`m hesitant to recommend anything or any process without more info is because you just never know what happened. For instance, there was a time when a friend thought it would be a good idea to wax the flat black portion of his cars hood. If anyone recalls the 69 and 70 Mustang Mach1 the hood was almost completely flat black. His was a 70 GT that he had painted to look like a Mach 1. Anyway, he swirled Rain Dance paste wax all over the flat black hood and well....you get the picture.

Natty