PDA

View Full Version : Clear bra waterspotting

Pages : [1] 2

Lou K
04-18-2006, 11:49 AM
We have had more rain than usual in Nortern California and my car sat outside at the dealer for a few days while it was being worked on. When I gat it back I noticed water spots on the clear bra and hood. The spots came off of the hood using Menzerna 1006 but they would not budge on the clear bra. I tried vinegar, isopropal alcohol, Menzerna, safe cut polishing compound. While the film looked shinier it still has the spots and in some cases etching. Help any one ???

I have attached a photo.

Thanks,

Lou K

Lou K
04-18-2006, 11:54 AM
We have had more rain than usual in Nortern California and my car sat outside at the dealer for a few days while it was being worked on. When I gat it back I noticed water spots on the clear bra and hood. The spots came off of the hood using Menzerna 1006 but they would not budge on the clear bra. I tried vinegar, isopropal alcohol, Menzerna, safe cut polishing compound. While the film looked shinier it still has the spots and in some cases etching. Help any one ???

I have attached a photo.

Thanks,

Lou K

Another attempt but the file is too large!!!!!

jchetty
04-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Another attempt but the file is too large!!!!!

go to photobucket and upload it there..they automatically resize it..then post the link in the photo so the photo shows up :D

Lou K
04-18-2006, 03:31 PM
go to photobucket and upload it there..they automatically resize it..then post the link in the photo so the photo shows up :D

Thanks,

Here is the link:http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/lou1119/?action=view&current=P6070008.jpg

nuclear
04-19-2006, 07:43 AM
I`m having the same problem and it is maddening. Yours still looks far better than mine, however. I`ve yet to find any solution beyond removing the hood piece.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9673/apr180109ph.th.jpg (http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=apr180109ph.jpg) http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3474/apr180115rv.th.jpg (http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=apr180115rv.jpg)

imported_cp1
04-19-2006, 08:22 AM
I have had pretty good luck in the past on my 911 clear bra with 3M rubbing compund mixed or thinned with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to buffer it. RUB LIGHTLY in back and forth motion. Then remove haze with QD of your choice. DON`T RUB HAZE OR DRIED PRODUCT ON CLEAR BRA, you will be fighting a never ending battle.

Then top it with whatever wax you choose, I prefer P21S/S100 on clear bras.

This will remove stains/spots but not actual flaws in the clear bra. And 3M clear bras have TONS of flaws.

Lou K
04-19-2006, 08:48 AM
I have had pretty good luck in the past on my 911 clear bra with 3M rubbing compund mixed or thinned with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to buffer it. RUB LIGHTLY in back and forth motion. Then remove haze with QD of your choice. DON`T RUB HAZE OR DRIED PRODUCT ON CLEAR BRA, you will be fighting a never ending battle.

Then top it with whatever wax you choose, I prefer P21S/S100 on clear bras.

This will remove stains/spots but not actual flaws in the clear bra. And 3M clear bras have TONS of flaws.

How bad was the clear bra on your car? Mine is etched to the point that you can feel the indents. At this point I would rather take the chances with chips since this looks horrible. As time passes, excluding this situation, I am beginning to think the clear bra solution is not a very good one. It scratches, will show marks if you do get chipped and is far from "invisible".

jimmie jam
04-19-2006, 10:43 AM
have you guys checked with 3M and the installer. i think that there is a warranty on the material. 3+- years?? just a thought. :confused:

Lou K
04-19-2006, 11:09 AM
have you guys checked with 3M and the installer. i think that there is a warranty on the material. 3+- years?? just a thought. :confused:

I think the film on my car is Venture film. The installer warrants the film from "bubbling, fading and cracking". I have been in touch with the installer who shall remin nameless for the time being and his response is " I haven`t seen that before". We will see how the saga unfolds. :hairpull

imported_cp1
04-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Jeez, now I wonder what exactly caused the marks??? Maybe the dealer splashed some caustic acidic substance on it. Mine by my standards was pretty nasty looking and my cocktail of 3M products always took care of it.

At this point, give the venture film a 3M cleaning, almost nothing to loose. They may have to re-install the film.

I have heard that Venture is a far superior product to 3M in that it has zero orange peel and is much clearer.

Anthony O.
04-19-2006, 01:40 PM
If I am not mistaken, Venture film has no clear layer as does 3M and because of this I am told that Venture is prone to staining more so than 3M.

Yes Venture has alot less OP, is very clear but also has no UV absorbers nor any clear. As with everything, there are pros and cons.

The installer should replace the piece free of labor and ask only for you to purchase the kit. At least this is how we deal with these situations.

Anthony

uzj100
04-19-2006, 03:17 PM
I too have a Venture bra on my car--probably installed by the same outfit as I live in CA too.

I have it on my black Porsche and I`ve had zero problems with it. Couldn`t be happier. I keep it loaded with past wax--my current favorite is Pink Wax. I`ve not had any problem getting water spots off so, I`m thinking the post about something acidic may be the reason yours is etched?

imported_cp1
04-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Wow, I didn`t know Venture film had no clear. Then again I have never seen Venture in person, only read about it.

Best of luck, but you probably better not try my polishing recipe I stated above because this may harm the non clear coated Venture film even further.

Lou K
04-20-2006, 08:22 AM
If I am not mistaken, Venture film has no clear layer as does 3M and because of this I am told that Venture is prone to staining more so than 3M.

Yes Venture has alot less OP, is very clear but also has no UV absorbers nor any clear. As with everything, there are pros and cons.

The installer should replace the piece free of labor and ask only for you to purchase the kit. At least this is how we deal with these situations.

Anthony

Thanks for the reply. This was a custom wrap and not a kit. The film on the hood is about 3 feet back from the front edge, the front fenders are also stained and the bumper and lower air dam are one piece which is different than a kit. The entire front end will have to be replaced since it is not only the hood, fenders and the lower lip on the AMG airdam that is spotted.

I am starting to get a run around from the installer-----go figure :hm :hm

Ben Kenobi
04-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Sorry to hear you are getting the runaround from your installer Lou. I had the Avery Dennison StoneShield instlalled last year and have been very pleased with it. It is very hard to tell it is on until you get close, no orange peel and very clear.

Like cp1 I have put P21S over my film and it worked well. I also have used the Klasse twins and it is super slick. Bug and road film just wash right off, no scrubbing required. I know when we get our next car the film will be going on pronto.

If you have to get yours replaced maybe look at switching brands. Good luck to you!