PDA

View Full Version : PC, Zaino, Rejex - am I doing this right?

Mark Bennett
04-18-2006, 04:53 AM
I was going to post this in the University section - but it appears to have gone? :nervous:

Anyway, I have a Metallic Black Porsche Boxster which is 4 years old, although some paintwork was done about a month ago after some damage.

I just spent a couple of days prepping for layering on Zaino, which I intend to follow with Rejex for a more dust repellant top coat.

I`m in the UK so some of the common products in the US are a pain to get hold of, but I have imported a PC (thanks Autopia! :D )

Here is what I have done so far:

Washed and Clayed car

Washed again.

Using a PC and a DAS Orange pad with 3M "perfect-it" Fast Cut I polished out the years of swirl marks from the old paintwork (not the new).

I followed up with 3M Imperial Machine Glaze on a green DAS pad on the PC over the whole car.

I`ve now taken all the masking tape off (that I used over the panel edges and joins), and used Zymol HD cleanse to remove the tape residue (it worked better than anything else I had handy!)

This is the point that I have now got to. :xyxthumbs

Next up I was going to wash again to ensure I got rid of all the Polishing dust (it`ll give me the opportunity to sweep out the garage and get rid of the polish dust there too before applying Zaino).

I was then going to use either the HD Cleanse, or P21S Paintwork Cleanser (GEPC) as a final fine polish before applying the Zaino (Z5 + ZFX, followed by Z2 + ZFX... Probably 4 or 5 layers)

I was then going to finish off with a coat or 3 of the Rejex.

So finally to the questions:

I looked up P21S and PC last night here (I was hoping I could use the P21S cleanser (GEPC) with the DA - I have back problems and this really would help) but I was unable to find anything in the threads I searched. Does anyone recommend this or is it a definite no-no?

The thing I did find in the search was that "oily" cleansers are not recommend before applying Zaino. This seems to rule out everything I have as I have HD Cleanse, the P21S Cleanser, and 3M imperial hand glaze (IHG) - are all oily as far as I can tell!

Would a final Wash using Z7 help? (I`m not totally happy with Z7 though - it spots easily so I use a spritz of Z6 on the wet car when wiping off with a microfibre towel to enhance the drying/gloss - would this be ok before the first coat of Z5? I know you use Z6 between layers, so assume it would be ok?)

I used HD cleanse under Zaino 3 years ago and it seemed OK. Am I worrying needlessly or should I definitely use something else other than the items mentioned?

Please be kind :xyxthumbs

Edited to add keywords and a bit more detail...

MrDetail
04-18-2006, 07:50 AM
I would use Zaino Fusion (ZPC) as my final polish or do a Dawn or Z7 wash. I would also either use Zaino or Rejex but not both.

imported_memnuts
04-18-2006, 08:03 AM
A mild (1 capful in a gallon of water) Z7 wash will remove any polishing oils(HD and P21S GEPC). Z6 QD prior to applying the Zaino and you will on your way. Zaino will look great on black metallic.

Enjoy. :D

Mark Bennett
04-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Great!

Thanks all

The P21S GEPC really is easy to work with isn`t it? Never used it before - a great shine with little effort (so why did it take me 3 hours using the PC? :D )

Wash tonight then with Z7, and use Z6 to help with the drying and avoid water spots.

Mark Bennett
04-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Now have 4 coats of Z5 on the car. Start layering on the Z2 tonight...

imported_memnuts
04-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Now have 4 coats of Z5 on the car. Start layering on the Z2 tonight...

Sounds great!! Can`t wait to hear how you like your work and Z on black. :drool:

Maybe some :kewlpics soon???