PDA

View Full Version : Layering summer wax-Megs #16 or IW845?

imported_smprince1
04-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Usually, I`ve applied a few layers of sealant (EX-P, UPP, etc.) to get me the best protection base through the summer. Of course, every so often the base gets a spray extender such as OCW, QD+, UGE, etc. to help make it go longer.

This year, instead of sealants I want to give the so-called durable waxes a try to see if they hold up in the summer heat.

My process would be to do a complete paint prep: wash, clay, polish to remove swirls.

Then, prior to waxing apply Clearkote VM.

Then, apply a few layers of either Megs #16 or Collinite IW845.

In your experiences, which of these waxes would have the best durability, looks, etc. Which would lend itself to applying another layer every 6-8 weeks throughout the summer? Or, a combo of the two? My vehicle is metal flake grey.

Thanks for your responses.

EdLancer
04-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Why not get this best of both worlds, continue using your sealant and layer with 845IW or #16, this is usually make favorite combo. I use 476s in the winter instead of 845IW.

tomee
04-17-2006, 09:05 PM
although i havnt had expericen using collinite,

but i did apply 1 layer of 16 to my car, left it for about 3 weeks unwashed,

then washed teh car with dishwashing liquid and rinsed... the car still beaded

E-Jag
04-19-2006, 03:18 PM
I use both at different times (#16 and 845IW) and find that in the Florida sun you`ll get an easy 4-5 months out of 845, plus a great look - nothing seems to bother it. You would probably also like #16 but it`s hard to find (no longer produced) and a little harder to apply. 845 will outlast any carnauba I`ve ever tried and is considered by many to be a beauty wax.

E-Jag

imported_Blake
04-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Nothing wrong with using IW or 16 as a base. To me the big difference between the two products is the ease of use with the Collinite brand over the #16. I couldn`t tell the difference between the two products otherwise. Both a couple of tough waxes.

Accumulator
04-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Yeah, either/or. If you feel like a paste (and can still find it) go with #16. If you feel like a semi-liquid go with the 845. If you want to smell crayons use #16, if you want to smell "detailing chemicals" use 845. 845 is easier, but #16 isn`t bad as long as you apply it thin.

imported_smprince1
04-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

To be more clear, I already own both #16 and IW, but I have only used the #16 to date. Usually I apply it after a sealant like EX-P or UPP.

I like the #16, but after reading so much about the `"legendary" durability of IW I thought about giving it a try this year instead of a sealant. Also, I wanted to try VM as a glaze under the LSP and I thought it would affect the bonding/durability of the sealant so I wanted to eliminate the sealant and just go with wax.

bjackson8
04-20-2006, 05:57 AM
#16 and #845 are both great products, and are the two waxes that I use most often.

They are both very durable, but IMO, #845 is the durability winner by a good margin.