PDA

View Full Version : Best last step sealant for single stage paint?

GTS Jeff
04-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Hi, I`m new to this forum but I`ve heard good things about it. I`m wondering what the best sealant would be for me to use on my car.

My car was repainted by the previous owner; he did a very cheap job and the paint appears to not have any clear coat. It oxidizes very quickly. I`ve had some luck with removing the oxidation with 3M rubbing compound and then sealing it up with Meguiars NXT, but I`m looking for a longer lasting solution.

Is there a last-step product out there that will be more durable and longer lasting (without being ridiculously expensive) and can I apply a layer of NXT over top of it for extra colour and shine?

Thanks!

Accumulator
04-16-2006, 09:47 AM
GTS Jefff- Welcome to Autopia!

You could try something like the Klasse twins or Zaino. Just because it`s ss that doesn`t mean you have to treat it differently from basecoat/clear (clear is just unpigmented paint). But..I do find that I generally prefer to use waxes on ss instead of sealants. If it were mine (and I have two ss cars) I`d use Collinite wax on it. Collinite (845 or 476S) looks pretty good and lasts a long time.

I dunno how the oxidation protection will work out for you, but I used it on a ss `84 Volvo that was outside 24/7 and it seemed to protect it OK.

I would`t apply NXT over the top of anything for improved looks, I`d rather use something like Natty`s (which I have not tried) or Souveran (which I love as a topper) or TOL`s Trade Secret (sorta a less expensive version of Souveran). Souveran over 476S is what I used on the Volvo when prepping it for its new owner, and it looked great with that combo on it. Said new owner is using 845 on it and reports that it`s looking good.

GTS Jeff
04-17-2006, 08:39 AM
What`s the difference between a sealant and a wax? And do you have suggestions on products that are more commonly available?

imported_themightytimmah
04-17-2006, 09:27 AM
I`d suggest Meguiar`s #16, if you can get your hands on a can. Use Meg`s #7 under it. The old Meg`s stuff really seems to do a job on single stage paint for me at least. If fading is a major issue, top with Optimum spray wax, as it claims to have functional UV inhibitors (I can`t guarantee it, but nothing I`ve seen would make me dispute their claim).

Accumulator
04-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Think of "sealants" as merely being "synthetic waxes" and as "waxes" as having more natural ingredients such as carnauba. NXT is a sealant and it`s "Tech Wax" name sorta explains it all- it`s a high-tech version of wax. It`s not like it`s bad stuff or anything like that, so if you like it keep using it.

If you hadn`t mentioned "commonly available" I would`ve said to listen to theMightyTimmah and use #7 topped with #16, my family`s been using that combo on single stage since the 1950s! But #16 was discontinued and it`s getting hard to find.

I`d get some Collinite, you can order direct from them (very friendly guys) at their WEBSITE (http://www.collinite.com/auto.htm) if your local autoparts place doesn`t have it (some Autozones have 845).

Another though it Meg`s #26, which makes some paints look deep and rich. Or their Gold Class, which doesn`t last all that long but gives a nice shine.

But I`d go with Collinite...

GTS Jeff
04-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Sweet ok thanks...

Collinite just by itself?

BTW my paint is red.

Accumulator
04-17-2006, 05:11 PM
I meant Collinite after some kind of prep product/polish. Which one would depend on how bad your marring it, how hard/soft the paint is, stuff like that. The Collinite is a "straight wax" with no cleaners or polish in it.

Something milder than your 3M RC. How about... a polish from 1Z, if you don`t mind ordering over the `net.

wannafbody
04-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Megs #9 then top with collinite 845

EdLancer
04-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Sweet ok thanks...

Collinite just by itself?

BTW my paint is red.

Seal with NXT and top with 845IW, simply darker reds and stunning !

salty
04-17-2006, 09:54 PM
GTS Jeff welcome.

You could try and find the phone number for Pro-Detail, they are a distributor for Malco products.

There is also a High-Temp distributor, i have both numbers at work, both are in Edmonton. They have some good products. PM me if you need the numbers.

Scottwax
04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
The problem with cheap paint is it is cheap. I highly doubt changing your LSP is going to make much difference.

Personally, I`d just hit it with Vanilla Moose and top with a carnauba about every 6-8 weeks. If the paint is fading quickly, that is about the only way to keep it looking good. Remove oxidation, rewax.