PDA

View Full Version : polishing/waxing

^&04types
04-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Guys , i have a pc. wondering how long I should use it for polishing for example ; the hood? how many passes should I run? have a arctic blue pearl finish. trying to get it to POP it seems to lack something at the moment. I do use poor boy products. any infor would be apprec. thanks....

gtbaka
04-15-2006, 10:16 PM
I understand your goal is to make your paint pop. But the amount of time to polish depends on your starting point. What is the condition of the paint? Swirls? Scractches? Oxidation? Obviously, the worse the condition, the more the polishing time.

There is no stopwatch countdown how long to polish. It comes with experience. For first time machine users, be it DA or rotary, the only way to know how the machine/pad/product combination works without prior experience, is to inspect your progress.

Work the product in using a hatching pattern, up, down, side to side... in a 2`x2` area. Take your time, moving slowly. And wipe off the product and compare the progress to an unpolished section. Good? No? Repeat. After awhile you start to sense how your product combination works. Nice thing about a PC is that you don`t have to worry too much about damaging the paint.

BigAl3
04-15-2006, 10:22 PM
also... put a good amount of pressure as well, otherwise you won`t remove any defects.

^&04types
04-16-2006, 06:57 AM
car is 2 yrs old. no swirls. i think the key is to move the pc slowly. i did it rather rapidly. let me know of any other suggestions. :doh

White95Max
04-16-2006, 07:46 AM
I find it hard to believe that you have a 2 year old car with no swirls at all.

If you indeed have a car with no swirls, you don`t need to use a mechanical polish. Just clay and use a non-abrasive paint cleaner to prep the surface. Then you don`t have to worry about properly breaking down the polish.