PDA

View Full Version : These are the tools... need advice on algorithm

needoptic
04-15-2006, 04:17 PM
:)

So I ordered the optimum bundle with the porter cable.

I have the orange light cutting pad, two grey buffing pads.

Optimum compound, and optimum polish.

Car has some bad swirl marks, a couple of minor scratches.

What I would like to know is how to tackle this problem - this will be my first time working with the PC. I assume I should start with the Optimum Polish and see if that will take care of the swirls. If that fails - switch up to the optimum compound? When and if I do - do I have to clean off the pad first? Just a rinse?

Also, what speed should I be sticking around with the beforementioned materials and the fact that I`m a noob at this? Should the speed be increased if OC does not take out my swirls? I read that I should be moving the polisher around 1 inch / second speed. (It`s a black vehicle, a VW touareg, hard paint).

http://www.needoptic.com/img/temp/scr2.jpg

Also - i know the polisher breaks down over time and thats when it is time to wipe it off and inspect the work. What is the "expected" time for this to happen? Hopefully I`ll just see it change, but if going slow how many minutes does it take to break it down? Just want to be really carefull.

Thanks guys!

imported_Surfer
04-15-2006, 11:33 PM
I`m interested as well as I`m leaning towards the Optimum Porter Cable kit after hearing a lot fo good stuff about Optimum.

needoptic
04-16-2006, 07:27 PM
anyone? :)

Vw Gti
04-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Just today i used the orange light cutting pad (dual action) with Optimum polish and a PC AND ON A VW :D Small world. I was keeping it around 5 or 4 but i heard alot of people say you need to keep it at 6 all the time. I am not exactly sure how long it should be run, but over time i am sure i will learn.

I would try and order the Yellow pad also cause i can see the swirls are pretty bad.

needoptic
04-17-2006, 06:07 AM
Hm. What about going from polish to compound on the same pad? Is it safe to just use a brush and take off the remains off the pad?

holland_patrick
04-17-2006, 06:47 AM
I had a pretty bad truck yesterday and this is what i did..

OPt compound with lt cutting pad no wiping

Opt polish polishing pad Opt wax wipe..

It worked very well as i was not wiping then re wiping.. I was out in the sun and it had no ill effects on the finish. (not that he wanted perfection (It just needs a good wax...))

Move the PC as slow as you can.. the one inch a sec is WAY too fast.. If i cover the whole 2x2 area in 10 sec that would be fast... I take my time and let the product do it`s job...

needoptic
04-17-2006, 06:49 AM
I had a pretty bad truck yesterday and this is what i did..

OPt compound with lt cutting pad no wiping

Opt polish polishing pad Opt wax wipe..

It worked very well as i was not wiping then re wiping.. I was out in the sun and it had no ill effects on the finish. (not that he wanted perfection (It just needs a good wax...))

Move the PC as slow as you can.. the one inch a sec is WAY too fast.. If i cover the whole 2x2 area in 10 sec that would be fast... I take my time and let the product do it`s job...

can optimum polish be used on the gray polishing pad? I know that the grey is usually used for applying wax, etc.

holland_patrick
04-17-2006, 09:29 AM
I use edge pads so I have no gray pad..