PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever use a QD after a wash but before drying?

shortspark
04-15-2006, 12:59 PM
After washing my truck I always use a QD. However, I`ve always QD after drying the vehicle. The only time I have ever used a QD in any other way is putting a few capfulls in my QEW just for a little extra lubrication. But now I have heard some people saying that they spray the QD on while the vehicle is still fairly wet after a wash and then finish the drying. Does anyone here do this? What are the benifits of doing this rather than just QD when the car is completely dried off? It seems to me you sort of dillute the QD liquid if you mix it with the water that is already on the car.

imported_steveo3002
04-15-2006, 01:22 PM
no not for me......wash-dry-qd here

TGates
04-15-2006, 01:28 PM
I almost always use Adam`s Detail Spray after washing on a wet car to minimize friction and help with any water drops that may be forming. It also adds gloss. Why not kill two or three birds with one stone and save yourself some time in the process?

shortspark
04-15-2006, 01:55 PM
I almost always use Adam`s Detail Spray after washing on a wet car to minimize friction and help with any water drops that may be forming. It also adds gloss. Why not kill two or three birds with one stone and save yourself some time in the process?

I can see where QD on a wet surface might make the drying process a little smoother but do you think the water would dilute the product too much, thereby rendering it less effective for its real intended purpose?

imported_themightytimmah
04-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I do that all the time. It seems to help, usually I use one spray per panel of CG`s Pink QD. Don`t do it with Optimum or any other true spray wax though, it`s hydrophobic and a waste of product.

TGates
04-15-2006, 02:07 PM
I can see where QD on a wet surface might make the drying process a little smoother but do you think the water would dilute the product too much, thereby rendering it less effective for its real intended purpose?

Well it depends on what you think the real intended purpose of a QD is I suppose. If you believe a QD is intended to remove dust when a car is not quite dirty enough to wash, then no, because you`ve already removed any and all dust by washing the car, therefore the QD being dilluted isn`t going to hurt anything there. The only thing I can see being diminished by spraying on a wet car is a QD`s cleaning ability, which again doesn`t really come into play when using on a still wet just washed car. You may not get the full gloss a QD has to offer using it this way, but I always QD my car within a few hours of washing anyways, just because I enjoy the process. And besides, it`s certainly going to be glossier than not using any QD at all while drying.

The reduction in friction between the towel and paint surface I get when using a QD on a wet car is why I do it. It makes it easier to glide the towel across the surface when there is a misting of QD mixed in with the standing water.

Having said that, I think you need a real watery QD to do this with. Something like Adam`s Detail Spray, Clearkote Quikshine, most of the Meg`s OTC QD`s are nice for this... I`ve tried it with Griot`s Speed Shine and One Grand Show Off and it didn`t work as well because I was actually having to buff the QD off the surface, it wasn`t getting fully "soaked in" with the remaining water. Speed Shine and One Grand Show Off are a little thicker consistency than most other QD`s.

RCBuddha
04-15-2006, 04:20 PM
After blowing off most of the water, I use Spray and Wipe, CG Pro Detailer, or Adams Detail spray with my WW to aid in drying and add a nice gloss. I often times follow up with OCW because its so darn easy to use!

JasonD
04-15-2006, 04:34 PM
One of my favorite products is just that - Wax As U Dry by Eagle One. I don`t wash a car without it.

Craigster
04-16-2006, 08:43 AM
I use Spray & Gloss. I spray on while car is wet, then dry. Works fantastic, makes drying easier leaves a slick finish.

SVR
04-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Yes I do that with werkstatt and prima slick

Raindance is also good for that

percynjpn
04-17-2006, 05:30 AM
The reduction in friction between the towel and paint surface I get when using a QD on a wet car is why I do it.

I think that is the main point of using it that way; the other is that it`s simply easier to remove than when used on dry paint.

I use 1Z Lackfinish that way whenever I don`t plan to wax after washing.