PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone, 1st Post, seeking advice

imported_cp1
04-15-2006, 06:42 AM
I consider myself quite knowledgeble in detailing, but I don`t know everything about it and thats why I joined here to seek all of your opinions.

I have been using 3M Imp. Hand Glaze followed by P21S. This combo proved very nice on my past 2003 speed yellow 911. 2 weeks ago I bought a more everyday car, a white BMW 550i.

I decided to go back to Zaino which I used quite a few years ago. I figured that because it is white and will never pop like darker colors that a polymer based sealant would be fine.

I have clayed the BMW and prepped beyond belief to get a good base to work from. Unfortunately there are some nasty straight line scratches in the hood and trunk lid from probably being washed at the dealer prior to me.

I tried the new Zaino PC Fusion and honestly not impressed with it. What can I use to remove OR hide the scratches that will be compatible as an undercoat or base for Zaino Z2 Pro?

I appreciate all the help and advice.

imported_cj99si
04-15-2006, 07:36 AM
do you have a rotary, and pics?

imported_cp1
04-15-2006, 07:45 AM
Hi cj,

I don`t have a rotary, but I do have a PC. Unfortunately my pc is in New York and I am in NC. So I have been going at it by hand.

No pics yet and not sure if they would show up in a picture. Certainly in the sunlight they show badly, but in the garage under flourescent light I can`t see them unless I use a work light...then they really show up.

I can`t see any scratches on the side panels, only hood and trunk lid.

Here is a pic otherwise.

well.......I was going to upload a pic but my 640x480 are too large??? Damn I don`t think my Sony can take a smaller picture to upload.

Accumulator
04-15-2006, 08:31 AM
cp1- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d see if a local autobody/paint supply place still has the discontinued 3M PI-III RC (05933) and MG (05937). These work great by hand (and PC/rotary too) and don`t leave a bunch of stuff behind to interfere with your Zaino. Don`t let the names ("rubbing compound", "machine glaze") put you off, I`d use them on most any paint without hesitation (even fragile old single stage, let alone what you`re dealing with). Even if the shop doesn`t have these any more (and a lot of places still do) they should be able to get something that doesn`t leave a lot of oils/fillers behind. So I`d check the yellow pages for the supply place or order from an online vendor.

Heh heh, these products woud be great if you got some marring on that Porsche too ;) They`re what I use for correction on about 90% of my details.

imported_cj99si
04-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi cj,

I don`t have a rotary, but I do have a PC. Unfortunately my pc is in New York and I am in NC. So I have been going at it by hand.

No pics yet and not sure if they would show up in a picture. Certainly in the sunlight they show badly, but in the garage under flourescent light I can`t see them unless I use a work light...then they really show up.

I can`t see any scratches on the side panels, only hood and trunk lid.

Here is a pic otherwise.

well.......I was going to upload a pic but my 640x480 are too large??? Damn I don`t think my Sony can take a smaller picture to upload.

OK so the hood scratches arnt that bad.... get a free photobucket account or something, it automatically re-sizes your images. The only thing that I have used by hand and that works is maguires scratch X. try what Accumulator says he he knows his stuff.

imported_cp1
04-15-2006, 09:22 AM
I just figured out where the scratches came from: MG #2 Fine Cut Cleaner. I used this on my hood and trunk to try and remove some single straight line scratches that were in the paint from the dealer. Well the #2 Fine cut just introduced a million more straight scratches (as opposed to swirls).

I am trying Zaino PC Fusion and 3M Perfect-It #39109 Swirl Mark Remover for Light Colored Cars to remove these scratches, it is helping somewhat but not completely. I have also tried 3M Rubbing Compound #03900. It claims it: "removes 1500 grit or finer scratches and coarse swirl marks". This stuff removed a bunch junk from my 911 paint over the years but it is not doing great on the Bimmer paint with these Meguiars #2 scratches.

Should I use a foam pad by hand? Right now I am using extremely soft 100% cotton terry cut into 2"x2" pieces.

Another concern is: Are these 3M products ok to put Zaino on top of? Something tell me no.

Thanks very much guys!