PDA

View Full Version : Let`s talk masking tape!

Neo62381
04-14-2006, 10:32 PM
When I first started detailing, I`d use whatever I could get my hands on, usually the cheapest thing I could find. I would have all sorts of trouble with the tape not sticking when I made a pass with my PC, it was rather frustrating. I`ve scince switched to the 3M blue painters tape, and MAN, it makes all the difference in the world! It truly is nice to be able to do a whole vehicle without having to worry at all about the tape coming off, leaving residue, or not sticking good enough! Heres my question: I`m seeing the light green automotive masking tape. It is a little more price-wise. Would any of you experienced detailers be able to tell me if after getting this, what diffrences I would see?

Thanks in advance! :woot2:

SpoiledMan
04-15-2006, 12:08 AM
The blue is cheaper than the green and performs well enough to remove clean after hours of polishing in 80 plus degree CA heat. In my experience, the green isn`t necessary.

JoeJ
04-15-2006, 01:03 AM
Agreed. I have never used the green, but use the blue all the time, without any incedent. If it ain`t broke don`t fix it.

tomee
04-15-2006, 04:38 AM
i was thinking about this today while at the hardware store...

was wondering what the difference was in using ordinary masking tape, compared to the painters tape

velobard
04-15-2006, 06:21 AM
I used the purple tape the other day and it left behind just a bit of residue on the paint after I was done with the PC. There wasn`t all that much, but it was a little stubborn about coming off. Would the blue do this too?

cwcad
04-15-2006, 06:28 AM
Any resudue. that was left behind while using the blue tape, was easily wiped off using a QD and MF towel.

slvr-bullet
05-29-2006, 07:11 AM
Bringing this thread back, but it is really necessary to tape off the gaps in the car every time when polishing/buffing/waxing if you are carefull not to get that close?

cwcad
05-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Bringing this thread back, but it is really necessary to tape off the gaps in the car every time when polishing/buffing/waxing if you are carefull not to get that close?

It really depends on the products that you use, how careful you are when applying product, which products that you use, and how picky you are when detailing the vehicle.

I usually do not tape off my vehcilce but I have one friend that would be very upset if any mark at all is on his trim. In his case I tape everything off just to be sure. For me, it just depends on the situation that I am in.

Ed Fisher
05-29-2006, 07:20 AM
i was thinking about this today while at the hardware store...

was wondering what the difference was in using ordinary masking tape, compared to the painters tape

In the hot season to come the adhesive will tend to leave gooey traces behind which are a nuisance if not worse and a problem...

Accumulator
05-29-2006, 09:05 AM
What Murat said about the cheaper tapes. I tried some generic blue tape from Lowe`s and it took forever to remove the residue (and that was using 3M Adhesive Remover too, it was really a mess).

slvr-bullet- No need to tape gaps when waxing, just don`t use that much product. For areas where you can`t get in there to clean, I`d consider taping when you polish. This can be tricky on some cars...there are areas where I just have to do it by hand.

DaGonz
05-29-2006, 09:18 AM
I use the 3M blue painter`s tape... and I have had no problems with removal.

Why use regular masking tape when it leaves a residue, and you have to use a solvent to get it off, which in turn will remove any wax or sealent should it touch the paintwork?