PDA

View Full Version : Leather Cleaner and Conditioner

acrl
04-14-2006, 06:11 PM
What do you use when doing an interior detail. So far, I just been using APC and scrubbing with a hard bristle brush for everything inside, but i don`t know how good that will be for the leather in the long run. What cleaner is out there that will get the that deep grime out of the leather? What conditioner leaves leather the most supple?

Vw Gti
04-14-2006, 06:28 PM
I just used some Sonus Leather cleanre and conditioner (seperate bottles) and i kind of like it. Ive used Meguiars rich elather cleaner/conditioner and i think SOnus is alot better. Meguiars left the seats really slipery and would leave white spots on my headrest after a little while. I like the smell of SOnus also. The seats were easy to clean and mine were pretty dirty, especially the arm rest. There are a bunch of different products like Lexol, Ultimate, Poorboys.

acrl
04-14-2006, 06:40 PM
I`ve tried lexol and it seemed like the dye from the leather was coming off. Might have been I was scrubbing too hard. I remember some people awhile ago saying their seats wore out because of using lexol.

Vw Gti
04-14-2006, 06:56 PM
I was gonan order some Lexol, but i a guess i am glad i did not. Try Sonus, i think you will like it. MY arm rest was pretty white from the sweat and it was pretty much the same when i used Meguiars. Now its nice and clean after Sonus. I like the Applicator that they include in the bundle.

Sherman8r44
04-14-2006, 07:12 PM
I hated Lexol. IMO It smelled like urine and it left the seats tacky.

Any cleaner specifically denoted for leather should be fine. Or Woolite:water, 1:6 in a spray bottle. Whatever you use, I think a brush it a little to aggressive, stick with just a towel.

As far as leather conditioners go...most leathers today have a plastic/vinyl coating on them. Do the drop test...if a drop of water soaks into your leather, it`s uncoated, and if it beads on the surface it`s coated. If your leather is coated, all you need is a vinyl dressing to add protection because leather conditioners likely won`t get past the coating anyway (and the "conditioners" aren`t needed because the leather isn`t exposed". If you still need that leather smell, get some Chemical Guys Leather scent air freshener (http://danase.com/chguairfr.html). If, however, your leather is uncoated, there are an abundance of good leather conditioners out there...I like CG Leather Conditioner (http://danase.com/chguleco16ou.html) in particular because it has a great smell and has a little cleaning ability too, but I know a lot of people love Four Star Ultimate Leather Conditioner (http://danase.com/fostulleco.html) and Sonus Leather Conditioner (http://autopia-carcare.com/son-610.html) .

tlak
04-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Sonus Leather cleanre and conditioner :2thumbs:

SilverLexus
04-14-2006, 07:36 PM
I like Z-9 for cleaning and Z-10 for leaving leather the softest. I agree with Sherman on Lexol. One of the worst performing leather products in my opinion.

SVR
04-14-2006, 08:03 PM
I have not tried sonus yet but have tried four star gel, lexol, renapur, meguiars, mothers, effax and others and preffered the four star cleaner gel

Very sudsy and really deep cleans it well.

a.k.a. Patrick
04-14-2006, 08:35 PM
The FS ULC is a very nice Gel product. Leaves the leather nice and clean, and nothing more. Follow up with the FS Ult Leather conditioner and you have a very nice combo! 303 is hard to beat for UV protection though.....Both products really leave the leather feeling clean only, not slick or slippery.....

Statman
04-14-2006, 08:45 PM
I like Z-9 for cleaning and Z-10 for leaving leather the softest. I agree with Sherman on Lexol. One of the worst performing leather products in my opinion.

Agreed!!! ZAINO BABY!

BradUF
04-14-2006, 09:23 PM
WoW no one likes Lexol? I have not tried many products for leather but people tell me its the best.

JasonD
04-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Lexol cleaner is nice, but the conditioner is too greasy and shiny for my taste.

Some people disagree, but I actually like Saddle Soap as a cleaner (the liquid spray kind), and 4star Leather Conditioner for keeping things soft. It smells great, and looks very natural.

tom p.
04-15-2006, 02:53 AM
Lexol is a great product. I`ve used it for years. The cleaner works OK. If you need serious cleaning horsepower you`ll probably want to look elsewhere.

If you`re big on the "leather" smell, there`s only one product to turn to: Z10.

Puropuro
04-17-2006, 03:19 PM
My wife just used my Sonus leather bundle on her 1999 Expedition (hasn`t been leather-cleaned since we got it). The stuff works GREAT, smells really nice, and comes off clean. She told me I need to buy some more of "that stuff". Sure honey, I`ll add some to my next order....muahahahahahahaha, now I got an excuse for buying more product. This stuff is like crack, I tell ya.

tom p.
04-17-2006, 04:14 PM
This stuff is like crack, I tell ya.

LOL, it is a HUGE endorsement when the SO gives direct approval to a product! :woot: Doesn`t happen very often, does it ?