PDA

View Full Version : Best sealant for wheels?

clnfrk
04-14-2006, 08:54 AM
I just purchased a set of wheels with a black painted center and machined lip. I want to apply a sealant on them to protect them from brake dust and also to make them easier to clean. I currently have SG, UPP and AJ in my detailing arsenal. Which of those do you think I should go with? And, is it necessary to prep the surface first seeing that these wheels are brand new, other than washing them first? Thanks for the help.

Joshua312
04-14-2006, 09:03 AM
No prep is needed if they are brand new, free of contaminents, etc...Out of those three I would probably go with KSG, let it sit for 10-20 minutes before wiping off, if it is hard to wipe off I would spritz a little AJ on them to assist in removing.

DeanT
04-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Wheel Wax

http://www.wheelwax.com/

Accumulator
04-14-2006, 09:07 AM
I`d use the KSG. I`d use AIO first though, only takes a minute or two.

I use UPP on the S8`s wheels (for looks) and it doesn`t last *NEARLY* as long as the KSG I use on other wheels. I try for about 4 layers, which will last a long time if you only wash with carwash shampoo (which works fine even on the Euro cars with their nasty brake dust).

Fallz
04-14-2006, 09:13 AM
I use NXT on may wheel`s and have has Black Bullitt rim`s on my Stang with polished lip and overall clarkoted. Worked well for me and made the black nice and deep adn seemed to hold up as well as anything else I`ve tried. Just my .02

clnfrk
04-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks guys! I guess I will use KSG then, since that is what most of you recommend and I already have some of it in my stock.

atticdog
04-14-2006, 01:15 PM
collinite 845 IW works great on wheels

Sherman8r44
04-14-2006, 01:39 PM
collinite 845 IW works great on wheels

+1

2x KSG followed by 845 would be bulletproof

SilverLexus
04-14-2006, 07:37 PM
I like both Poorboys Wheel Sealant and Z-2 Pro. Both seem to be effective and durable.

SVR
04-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Poly lack nano seal, Klasse, AJ and Collinite marque de elegance

Hines
04-14-2006, 07:56 PM
I like both Poorboys Wheel Sealant and Z-2 Pro. Both seem to be effective and durable.

my choice as well

Accumulator
04-15-2006, 09:08 AM
If anybody`s used both- How does the PB`s wheel sealant (or the Zaino or anything else for that matter) compare with KSG when *only using one coat*? I usually apply mutliple layers of KSG but now I have a few vehicles where I can`t have the wheels off that long (I`m doing the backs too of course).

I`ve never been all that thrilled with single-coat KSG and I find myself in need of a "one coat does it" product. Note that I`m after far better protection than the (pampered) S8 gets out of UPP.

imported_memnuts
04-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Because of the harsh environment in which wheels must endure, constant maintenence is necessary with whatever product you choose if the vehicle is driven daily.

I use my old versions of Z2 and Z5 and Z2Pro with ZFX for one coats and maintain weekly with Z8. High Polished to chrome-like brilliance Aluminum C5 5-spoke wheels (can clean, polish and protect without removal :woot: ) and the chrome wheels on the Escalade never show or adhere brake dust that isn`t basically easily rinse away and wiped off with the left-over soap after a car wash. This includes the backside of the rims. This ability to use something as mild as a car shampoo (Z7) prolongs the protective life of the sealant. :cool:

Recently, I have been topping the sealant (Zaino) protection with a sample of "FK Pink Wax". Where this product failed ME in the paint appearance department, it excels in adding "POP" to chrome finishes (wheels, chrome exhaust tips) without making them into brake dust or normal dust magnet. :xyxthumbs

I have also use left-over KSG and AIO on wheels with excellent results. Clean with AIO and top with one coat of KSG produced a durable protective layer that is easily maintained with monthly applications and periodic Qd`ing with Sonus Acrylic Spritz . KSG buffs quite easily from wheels from my experience.