PDA

View Full Version : Best protection?

StoneMan
04-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Hi, folks. I`m quite new here, but I`ve learned a lot just reading a lot of different threads.

With this being a detailing forum, it`s not surprising that most of the focus is on getting the best shine possible. While the appearance of the car is a big deal, the most important factor to me is protecting the paint. (I just bought a red 2006 Toyota Sienna, so that may explain why appearance is of secondary importance.)

With all of the combined experience here, I was hoping you could tell me what products do the best job of protecting paint. I`ve seen a lot of good things about Menzerna FMJ. Is that the best product for preventing damage on a daily driver? Or are there others I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

Wasatch
04-14-2006, 07:11 AM
FMJ, Werkstatt AJ, Klasse SG, Zaino, Menzerna AJ, Collinite 847 and 476S, and Tropi-Care TC-3 just to name a few.

drewski59
04-14-2006, 08:20 AM
I`ve always gone back to Zaino.

You can`t beat the protection. It lasts the longest, has SPF40 built-in so your paint won`t fade over time, and it is IMO the most reflective product out there currently!

When anyone demands the best protection, I will put Zaino on their vehicle!

However, the drawback is cost. Zaino isn`t that cheap, and it works best as a system of products, not just one. Although you definitely get what you pay for!

StoneMan
04-14-2006, 08:42 AM
drewski59, how much of a time commitment is that Zaino line of products? I understand that upkeep is easy once you get the first application done. But isn`t that first day like a 6+ hour ordeal? I`m certainly not trying to argue, I just wanted to ask to see if my impressions are accurate.

John, of the products you listed, which are easiest to apply? If all are roughly equal in terms of protection, then ease of application will be the determining factor for me. I don`t have a polisher of any kind, so I`ll be doing it all by hand. Birthday isn`t until November, so I won`t be getting a machine that expensive any time soon!

Accumulator
04-14-2006, 09:12 AM
I`ve never tried Zaino, but the longest lasting stuff I`ve used is KSG (on top of AIO). I use it on the minivan because of its durability and I can go for months on end with only regular washes once I have enough layers built up on it. I apply it nice and thin and I find it very easy to use.

For comparison, I use Collinite waxes (845 and 476S) on other vehicles and while it`s a great trade-off between durability and ease-of-use (and it`s good for hiding flaws too), the Collinite stuff just doesn`t compare with the KSG.

I`d choose between the Collinite and the KSG. FWIW, I plan to keep using KSG on the minivan (which is marring-free) and I`ll use Collinite on the new beater-Bimmer (which is definitely *NOT* marring-free ;) ).

Wasatch
04-14-2006, 12:01 PM
John, of the products you listed, which are easiest to apply? If all are roughly equal in terms of protection, then ease of application will be the determining factor for me. I don`t have a polisher of any kind, so I`ll be doing it all by hand. Birthday isn`t until November, so I won`t be getting a machine that expensive any time soon!

I also do everything by hand.

FMJ - I have not used this product, but gets very good reviews here.

Werkstatt AJ - Own, but have not used yet. Also gets very good reviews here.

Klasse SG - I have not used this product, but gets very good reviews here.

Zaino - I`m not a Zainohead, lol Also gets very good reviews here.

Menzerna AJ - I have not used this product, but gets very good reviews here. I will be picking some up shortly.

Collinite 847/476S - Own, but have not used yet. Also gets very good reviews here.

Tropi-Care (TC-3xP) - The first sealant I ever used back a few years ago when it was just TC-3 Pink. I have used the newer xP and it is a very nice product. It leaves the paint very glossy and slick. It is a very user friendly product easy on/easy off.

Finish Kare 2180 - Own, but have not used yet. Again it gets very good reviews here.

RCBuddha
04-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is fastly becoming the wax I reach for the most. I find that it is very durable, easy to use (if applied thinly) and looks good. What I recommend is to use some detailing clay and a good paint cleaner before applying the Collinite.

Good luck!

imported_chpsk8
04-18-2006, 10:22 AM
[quote name=`StoneMan`]drewski59, how much of a time commitment is that Zaino line of products? I understand that upkeep is easy once you get the first application done. But isn`t that first day like a 6+ hour ordeal? I`m certainly not trying to argue, I just wanted to ask to see if my impressions are accurate.

QUOTE]

Although there is some increase in time spent, it`s better than you think. First day you`d wash, then clay the car. Then deal with any swirls or hazing. Surface prep is important with most products of this type.

Then apply Z1 and Z2. Leave it sit for 20 minutes while you take a little break. Wipe it off, then leave it overnight to cure. In the morning hit it again with Z2 and the spritz, I think it`s Z6, or maybe its` Z5.... :think: Anyhow...

If you want to add any more Z2, just give it a few hours in the sun. I`m not a big fan of the ZFX addtitive, I think it does`nt look the same when its done.

So it does take longer, but you don`t work any harder. Start on a Saturday and by Sunday afternoon you`ll be pretty much done. The benefit is that you can probably hit it in the spring, then wait 3-4 months and do it again. Try that with regular wax! :geez

a.k.a. Patrick
04-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Try that with regular wax!

Matter of fact, that is my regular routine with UPP........

One of these days Im going to get it on with that Collinite though. Craig raves about it, and thats good enough for me to want to sample......