PDA

View Full Version : Coated rims, what to use for restoring?

dtailmycar
04-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Guys I recently had a set of stock rims for my saab from a friend. The rims are coated and have been sitting on his backyard for some time, I already tried degreaser, APC and some non acid wheel cleaner (TW). They still dirty and I know that with some help and elbow grease they may come to life. Any suggestion will be apprecciate, thanks!!

someone in other forum told me to sand and refinish, but I know something could be done before getting to that point.

Accumulator
04-14-2006, 10:01 AM
If you want, you could delete your copy of this on that other thread ;) Just hit "edit" then "delete this post".

I`d try a more aggressive wheel cleaner. Find something acid-based and plan on using it at least twicel. Then try something alkaline-based and use *it* a few times.

I`d also use clay while the above cleaners are dwelling (it`ll dissolve the clay like you won`t believe so have lots of clay).

You could try gently scrubbing with a very soft ScotchBrite pad, the kind made for nonstick cookwear. You could also try the nonmetallic bristle brushes on a dremel but that`ll leave a lot of not-so-micro marring.