PDA

View Full Version : AIO by itself

Outhouse
04-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Guys, not very experienced in detailing. Anyway, I bought and used AIO after claying my new Honda Black Ridgeline. Anyway, this was about 3 weeks ago. This week we got a good rain and the water didn`t bead up like it did right after I used AIO. Have I done something wrong? I thought AIO had a much longer duration? :thx

GlossyTundra
04-12-2006, 08:19 PM
I have used AIO by itself with no problem and good beading for about 1 month, maybe you are just wierd. :welcome :lol

Outhouse
04-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Wierd, yes, just look at my name. What I have been pondering is whether I should have also used the Klasse glaze as well. :wall

-KGB-
04-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Well I would not say that is totally abnormal for AIO. Did you apply by hand or by machine?

I would say skip SG as its a bear for newbies unless you use the wipe on wipe off method.

Wash, reapply AIO, then add an LSP.

foxtrapper
04-14-2006, 10:36 AM
First time I used the stuff I stood back and thought to myself "you`ve got to be kidding". It looked lousy with AIO. While it`s billed as a complete product, through experience I`ve learned it`s actually part 1 of 2. Without the second step, things don`t look very good and sure don`t last.

Now, that said, I also applied it very thinly, with a damp MF sponge. As in one little dollop in the middle of that sponge. I`ve often wondered how much I actually applied, and how much of what I was seeing was really just water getting smeared around on the paint.

Still haven`t done it, but I strongly suspect spritzing it onto the applicator would be a far superior method of putting it down. Think about it, applying AIO or any product this way is like trying to wash your car with a q-tip.

Outhouse
04-14-2006, 08:38 PM
OK Mr. KGB, what the heck is LSP? Is it like LSD? :lock: :spot :getdown

Joshua312
04-14-2006, 08:53 PM
LSP would be your protectant for your cars finish...Either wax or sealant whatever you choose. If you want something over the counter I would either go for the Mothers Reflections Line...NXT Paste Wax...or on the net....Either Pink Wax or Nattys Blue

chml17l
04-14-2006, 10:41 PM
OK Mr. KGB, what the heck is LSP? Is it like LSD? :lock: :spot :getdown

Last Step Product.

See this link for some of the abbreviations http://www.autopia.org/forum/faq.php?faq=secret_decoder_ring

Neo62381
04-14-2006, 10:51 PM
AIO in my humble opinion gets its better looks when applied by machine. Still doesn`t account for the durability prob. you are experienceing tho. Have you washed the car in the three weeks? If so, what soap was used?

Outhouse
04-15-2006, 06:02 PM
I applied it by hand. I normally wash the car each week. The problem may be the soap. I am using the Mr. Clean spot free system. Is this soap harsh? I thought I had heard that it was.

Neo62381
04-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah....the auto dry soap is pretty darn harsh! Thats where the durability deal is coming from. To be honest...I would ditch the auto dry all together, as I have found they don`t remeove all the grime and dirt. Go to wal-mart and buy some Meguires NXT wash...or order some Poorboys SS&S, read up in the autopia guide on the two-bucket wash method, and I promise you`ll never look back!

rickdm
04-16-2006, 08:54 AM
I have had the same experience with AIO alone, it stops beading after about three weeks. I now top it with a couple of coats of Jeff`s Acrylis Jett, and it has been a great combination. After washing finish it off with Acrylic Gloss QD and you are set for a long time.

rickdm