PDA

View Full Version : How can I get rid of this???

Bertuzzi
04-12-2006, 01:44 PM
I had the hood of my metallic black car lightly scratched at a parking lot of a local grocery store last winter. I immediately took my car to a body shop and had it buffed out. The scratch was gone, but I was left with swirl marks + hologram. I didn`t notice it until a few months later since it isn`t visible when it is cloudy. However, it becomes very apparent under direct sunlight.

So I was doing some research online and found a guy, who is a member of this forum, to buff out the hood. It was cloudy on the day he worked on my car, so I wasn`t able to see whether the holograms were gone. I paid $50 for his service.

Couple days later, the sun was out and I was shocked to see that the hologram was still there. I took the car back to him and had him buff it out for the second time. Please view the attached photo so see what the car looks like after the second polishing.

Of course I feel like I got ripped off paying $50 for the service, but I just want this to be corrected. For $50, I expected the hood to look brand new again with no signs of swirls or holograms. This guy basically said "this is the best I can do". If that is the best you can do, detailing shouldn`t be your day job!

I don`t trust this guy can do the job right to my satisfaction and I`m considering doing this myself. Is it possible to get rid of the hologram on a black car? Or should I just give up and live with it? I am considering purchasing a Porter-Cable random orbital machine. Which pad and polishing paste combination do you recommend??? Thanks for your advice.

Vw Gti
04-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Almost anything can be fixed my friend. If you get the PC (good idea) then you will need either a cutting pad or a light cutting pad. Some companies include Lake Country, Propel, Sonus, each person has their own opinion on each pad so its pretty much your decision. I have read that the best combo is 5 inch backing plate (needed to hold the pad) and a 6 inch pad was good. You might also need a white foam pad when you get close to removing the swirl marks.

As far the the polish, you can use some Optimum Polish, Klasse All In One, Meguiars ColorX (over the counter), and more. Here is a chart to help you Click Here (http://dano.pocketrubbish.com/detailing/productchart.htm) .. I would probably start somewhere in light cut or low medium cut and work your way down. Its always best to have several grades of polish. Meguiars ScratchX can be used also.

Hope this helps a tiny bit since i am new at this also.

imported_cj99si
04-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Thats a really bad detailer. Its a 10 min fix. get your money and put it towards a PC. Theres alot of turds out there.......

mblgjr
04-13-2006, 07:19 AM
That can be fixed for sure.

SSR1/white pad, followed with black would take that out.

As would Menzerna, or Opt. Polish used with polishing/finishing pads.

Scratch X can be used by hand to cover them up so they don`t drive you nuts in the meantime.