PDA

View Full Version : Buffing plastic?

mihilc
04-12-2006, 10:42 AM
I have a Peugeot 307 french car which have a plastic trim but is painted like the rest of the car. Maybe a dumb question, but is it meant to be buffed with a rotary? I mean, because I saw a guy on other detailing forum that used Meguiar`s PlastiX on such sort of a trim (it was from a golf car).

jvriii1942
04-12-2006, 02:21 PM
If the trim is clear coated it can be done. Although they do tend to burn easily with a rotary. If you feel using a rotary is necessary run it on the lowest speed and feather the trigger if possible.

DrSauekraut
04-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Yes, I agree . . . depending on type of trim (coated, painted, textured, etc.) it may or may not be buffed with a rotary. Test an inconspicuous area and be sure not to use anything abrasive. Good luck :p

jvriii1942
04-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Any Photos?

mihilc
04-12-2006, 09:52 PM
yes. this is my car.

mihilc
04-12-2006, 11:23 PM
I asked this because I saw a lot of vehicles that have the trim chipped and you can see the primer (I think) that is black. And I can see only a layer of paint, without any clearcoat. Or is it just the plastic that is black and it is only painted?

MorBid
04-13-2006, 10:00 PM
I can tell you from experience that on painted plastic it`s way to easy to burn/cut through the clear and/or paint with a rotary. That when compared to sheet metal.

As others have said, if you work those pieces with a rotary use the lowest setting possible and don`t get to aggressive with the pad/polish combo.

To me it seems that spot pads focus too much heat on one spot, better to use 6" ones.