PDA

View Full Version : The point of the "Ignore Member" option?

G35stilez
02-28-2005, 01:09 PM
I just really don`t see a point to the "Ignore Member" option.

If a member is acting out of line, then they should get the boot or cool off period. I think that`s been pretty constant and well run here.

However, if a member cannot handle a debate/argument/anything else and doesn`t want their posts viewed by the ignored, then I don`t see how that`s contributing to a healthy online forum.

I believe we are all pretty friendly here and while some may not agree with other`s feelings, they act at the time on them and then go their own way after.

CharlesW
02-28-2005, 01:28 PM
While I haven`t used the "Ignore Member" option, I think it works the other way.
When you ignore a member, you don`t see his posts or threads.
:dunno

Charles

G35stilez
02-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Charles: Yeah, that`s what I have noticed.

However, I don`t see a point in it. If you have one argument, fine...If you have a lot then Ignore them without hitting the button. For all you know, that "Ignored" member could have some excellent info to share in the past.

CharlesW
02-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Charles: Yeah, that`s what I have noticed.

However, I don`t see a point in it. If you have one argument, fine...If you have a lot then Ignore them without hitting the button. For all you know, that "Ignored" member could have some excellent info to share in the past.
Exactly why I haven`t used the "Ignore" button.:)

Charles

audiboy
02-28-2005, 01:59 PM
ive used it a couple of times on different forums, but i havent found a need for it here. this is just a friendly place with a lot of car crazy people on it.

Scott P
02-28-2005, 02:19 PM
I used it over at Autopia once for a guy that kept sending me warnings after warnings for no reason. I talked tot eh mods and they suggessted the button.

I just ook him off since he seems to be behaving himself lately.

Bill D
02-28-2005, 02:32 PM
It`s an alternative to having to see the comments of a member in question you really wish would leave a forum or have been banned. When you`re fed up with a member it`s a good way of preventing the urge to get in a flame war.

awd330
07-11-2005, 08:33 PM
I`m giving a bump to this old thread.

I tried using the "ignore" feature for the first time today and found that I really liked it. With just a few clicks, I removed several sources of irritation from my landscape. :D These members haven`t necessarily been obnoxious enough to warrant banning from the site, but I didn`t feel the need to subject myself to their brand of chatter. The ignore feature worked very well in this situation.

Jngrbrdman
07-11-2005, 08:45 PM
I`ve got several people on ignore around the web. Fortunately everybody I had on ignore here got the boot eventually. I still have a few on ignore on Autopia, but I don`t really go there anymore so I don`t care. I`ve got them all on ignore. :D Its a nice feature, but I wish it would just cut out the whole post and not even let me know they posted. That`s like saying there is a train wreck on the side of the road... BUT DON`T LOOK! :lol After awhile it becomes easier to just ignore them. I just wish their parents would ground them from the internet when the babysitter is watching them....

The Chee
07-11-2005, 08:47 PM
I guess what you don`t see won`t irritate you :D ;)

awd330
07-11-2005, 09:05 PM
I guess what you don`t see won`t irritate you :D ;)
Out of sight, out of mind. :)

I`ve got several people on ignore around the web. Fortunately everybody I had on ignore here got the boot eventually. I still have a few on ignore on Autopia, but I don`t really go there anymore so I don`t care. I`ve got them all on ignore. :D Its a nice feature, but I wish it would just cut out the whole post and not even let me know they posted. That`s like saying there is a train wreck on the side of the road... BUT DON`T LOOK! :lol After awhile it becomes easier to just ignore them. I just wish their parents would ground them from the internet when the babysitter is watching them....
:lol about having them ALL on ignore!

I clicked on the "View Post" feature for some hidden posts to see if I was missing anything useful. I wasn`t.