PDA

View Full Version : Whats is up with my paint?

ScubaStevo
04-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Well, I detailed my truck on saturday, and had is swirl free. The panels I had repainted were swirl free after I finished with them, and I used an apparent filler free product. Its Automagic`s GS1. It seems that the swirls have come back after just one wash (careful wash) and it is swirled like crazy already. The panels which weren`t repainted are still looking great.

What could be causing this? Should I try and go more agressive?

FYI, its those weird long sweeping swirls that look like streaks in the paint, which in sunlight makes the truck look like a multicoloured blob.

03k20a2
04-11-2006, 05:05 PM
when was your truck repainted? the paint may still be soft and not fully cured yet

ScubaStevo
04-11-2006, 07:01 PM
when was your truck repainted? the paint may still be soft and not fully cured yet

month and a half ago.

imported_cj99si
04-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Did you use a cali dry blade?

ScubaStevo
04-12-2006, 06:49 AM
Did you use a cali dry blade?

Nope. Just my ww microfiber.

audipower
04-12-2006, 09:04 AM
I had a customer that had that problem also. I went over the car with 3m 2000 grit buffing compound (with a wool pad) and then I used meguire`s glaze to finish. It fixed it. It was still soft paint job. It scratched easily. I just detailed it the other day. It was almost a year since I fixed his problem. Of course he had 7 layers of clearcoat on his `38 Ford (in my gallery). I would talk to ur painter and see what he says, and ask him if it would be safe if you could use a 2000 grit buffing compound, because some painters go cheap on paint jobs especially if your insurance paid for it. It never hurts to ask. If he says it`s not safe then just use a cutting polish and pad.

ScubaStevo
04-12-2006, 12:50 PM
I had a customer that had that problem also. I went over the car with 3m 2000 grit buffing compound (with a wool pad) and then I used meguire`s glaze to finish. It fixed it. It was still soft paint job. It scratched easily. I just detailed it the other day. It was almost a year since I fixed his problem. Of course he had 7 layers of clearcoat on his `38 Ford (in my gallery). I would talk to ur painter and see what he says, and ask him if it would be safe if you could use a 2000 grit buffing compound, because some painters go cheap on paint jobs especially if your insurance paid for it. It never hurts to ask. If he says it`s not safe then just use a cutting polish and pad.

I`m assuming I probably just didn`t go aggressive enough on those panels. The swirls were "gone", but were probably just filled in with left over polish and such. I`ll go over it with some SSR 3 and then lighter and get back to you guys. Thanks! :)

imported_GregCavi
04-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Here is my take:

Most of automagics polishes contain fillers. I dont use them because IMO they are unethical. I am not putting down your work, cuz your work is awesome, im just saying from my experience all the AM products do is hide or fill. If you are going to use them make sure to do an IPA swipe to ensure that the swirls arent just being hidden.

Greg

ScubaStevo
04-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Here is my take:

Most of automagics polishes contain fillers. I dont use them because IMO they are unethical. I am not putting down your work, cuz your work is awesome, im just saying from my experience all the AM products do is hide or fill. If you are going to use them make sure to do an IPA swipe to ensure that the swirls arent just being hidden.

Greg

Damn it...

Scottwax
04-12-2006, 06:08 PM
I have the problem on my car that the repainted areas (the hood and left rear door and fender were repainted at some point before my brother bought it) tend to mar and swirl a lot more easily than the rest of my car. The paint is obviously softer than the factory paint....which isn`t all that hard either.

Just something I have to live with. I`m not spending $3000 to have the whole car reshot-although the shop I`d use does use Spies-Hecker paints. ;)

ScubaStevo
04-12-2006, 06:37 PM
I have the problem on my car that the repainted areas (the hood and left rear door and fender were repainted at some point before my brother bought it) tend to mar and swirl a lot more easily than the rest of my car. The paint is obviously softer than the factory paint....which isn`t all that hard either.

Just something I have to live with. I`m not spending $3000 to have the whole car reshot-although the shop I`d use does use Spies-Hecker paints. ;)

Well, if its going to happen after only 1 wash, then its not something I can live with. Especially since the vehicle has my busienss name on it.

Scottwax
04-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Well, if its going to happen after only 1 wash, then its not something I can live with. Especially since the vehicle has my busienss name on it.

Mine takes more than a few washes but the other day, someone walked by (probably at the park) and ran their fingers across my paint (repainted area) and I can see some marring. :angry

I use monster fluffy MFs on my own car to ONR wash it.