PDA

View Full Version : Black Car, Swirls and 3M Polishes

superstring
04-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Well I`m finally ready to tackle the swirls on my black Subaru (thoughtfully installed by a local "professional" after a re-paint :angry ). I have a PC and the following products:

3M Perfect-It III RC

3M Perfect-It III MG

Menzerna FPII.

I`ve used the MG before, but the paint requires something more aggressive (RC). For those familiar with these products, do you think I can get away with going directly to FPII after the RC or should I use the MG in between? Also, out of curiousity, does anyone have any experience with 3M "Finishing Glaze"?

Thanks. :)

porta
04-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Get Menzerna IP instead of RC and use FPII not MG. And no swirls left!

superstring
04-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks, porta, it`s a thought. Anyone else? Accumulator perhaps ;) ?

Accumulator
04-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Yeah, this thread sorta had my username all over it, huh ;) Nice to see somebody`s still using my old go-to products.

I initially wasn`t thinking repaint, but rather Subaru clear, which I`ve used that combo on many times. But it`ll probably work out about the same as the Subie clear isn`t all that hard anyhow.

I`d do a pass with the MG after the RC, it won`t take long and that`s a near-perfect progression. It`s not like you need to use the MG numerous times or anything like that. You might even find that it`s the FPII you don`t need! The RC finishes down so fine that you may very well be able to go straight to the FPII, I just prefer recommending what I`ve actually done. I used the RC/MG/FP on my Audi and it worked OK, and that paint was almost certainly harder than you`re working with. Though FWIW going over it some more with 1Z Pro MP (there I go with the discontinued products again :o ) was what *really* put the finishing touch on it, a big improvement over the FP that really surprised me.

Never used the Finishing Glaze and I`ve had pretty crappy luck with the other 3M polishes/etc. I`ve used (not that I worked very hard at mastering them).

superstring
04-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Many thanks, Accumulator :bow