PDA

View Full Version : Zaino Shelf Life?

jdthompson
04-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a bottle of Z1 and Z2 that are about three years old.

I see the Zaino FAQ suggests a shelf life of around three years.

The products seem to be the same consistency as I remember them, the Z1 smells of chemicals, the Z2 smells sort of like Cherry Coke and is, as far as I recall the same colour as it was to begin with (sort of pinky orange).

If I was in the US I`d probably just go buy another couple of bottles but I`m in the UK so it isn`t that easy.

Are there any risks in using them?

TIA,

Paul

RedondoV6
04-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Paul, I think you have to take account of any vendors shelf life recommendations, but FWIW the only Zaino product I have experienced issues with, when used beyond the recommended shelf life, is ZFX which has a tendency to thicken up to a gel, after 18 months. I have used `expired` Z2 myself with no issues. Why not try the products on one panel and see what happens?

-KGB-
04-11-2006, 10:40 AM
^^^ What he say. Odds are it is fine, even if it is beyon use what is the worst that can happen? Its not like you are going to catch teh cooties.

ncsu602
04-11-2006, 10:42 AM
hopefully the Zaino experts will chime in, but I`ll tell you my experience. I have a bottle of regular Z2 and a bottle of Z5 that were purchased in 2003. They`re still good, used them recently. The bottle of Z1 I bought in 2004 didin`t fare so good. It separated and wouldn`t go back no matter how long I shook. I spoke with Sal Zaino about this, yesterday actually. He said everything has a shelf life, and to keep it at room temp. Mine had been in the garage, which isn`t exactly extreme temps, but it`s not room temperature either. If the Z1 still looks good, use it!

stilez
04-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=FAQ&Store_Code=Z#anchor37124

jdthompson
04-11-2006, 10:46 AM
I have a new car on order. OK in comparison to the cost of a car replacing the Zaino is insignificant, but it would be nice to know it`s just a case of not working at it`s best versus some nasty chemical "fsck up your paint" thing happening :)

ZeusCGP
04-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Both were in my basement. The 5year is pretty much empty, just never threw it out.

http://www.nymcgp.com/chris/060318_scratches/060318_zaino.jpg

-KGB-
04-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Both were in my basement. The 5year is pretty much empty, just never threw it out.

http://www.nymcgp.com/chris/060318_scratches/060318_zaino.jpgWell that is not totally accurate though I remember that Zaino switched the formula a bit to make it a bit more liquid around 2002 - 2003. I remember that I placed my order, saw that the forumla changed, called Sal, and he sent me the new formula which the color was different. I have about 3 bottles in the garage all since 2002 and all three were diffferent colors and consistancies from when I received them.

RedondoV6
04-11-2006, 10:53 AM
I have a new car on order. OK in comparison to the cost of a car replacing the Zaino is insignificant, but it would be nice to know it`s just a case of not working at it`s best versus some nasty chemical "fsck up your paint" thing happening :)

Hey Paul, if you have a new car on order, I`d just `bite the bullet` and buy a new batch of Zaino products; Z2pro, ZFX, Z8 etc, I mean you know you will be taking the best care of your new ride possible! Go on spoil yourself! :2thumbs: :lol

jdthompson
04-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Go on spoil yourself! :2thumbs: :lol

Heh.. I already have spoiled myself hence the penny pinching :)