PDA

View Full Version : Do my steps look ok?

blkbolt
04-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Could someone look over my plan of attack? I have 3 days to do this. This isn`t everything, I left out things like engine detailing etc. Any comments/suggestions? Should I go easier on the CC and use less speed? I`m using PC-7336 and LC 6.5" pads. I`ll try to take decent before and after pics.

*Day One:

-Fix Paint chips and deep scratches using touch-up paint and Langka paint chip repair kit

-2hr`s between each coat of touch-up paint, as needed

-Dawn wash and claybar (Z18) on bed, door jams, tailgate, then Klasse twins by hand

*Day Two: 24hrs later

-Dawn wash

-Claybar (Z18) with #66 QD and MF

-Wash with NXT

-Dry and move to garage...

-IP via PC with yellow (or white) pad @ speed 5-6 (1in./sec.)

-FPII via PC with white pad @ speed 4-5

-AIO via PC with gray (or white) pad

-HGSG with damp MF and W&S QD

*Day Three:

-Wheels... degreaser, Z18 on tough spots, Never-dull on back, AIO for front

-2nd coat HGSG on paint by hand

-Son of a gun on fender-wells and trim

-Dres tires with Z16

Any suggestions welcomed! :buffing:

Scottwax
04-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Skip the Dawn. Seriously. No need to wash after claying either, any minute residue will be remove in the polishing steps.

twitch
04-10-2006, 10:31 PM
I would be more comfortable allowing the touch up paint more cure time.

Accumulator
04-11-2006, 09:02 AM
I would be more comfortable allowing the touch up paint more cure time.

Yeah, same here. While I don`t stick to my "wait until it`s outgassed" rule for little touch-ups (who cares it they get all that hard or not :nixweiss ) I`d still wait at least a day even if I had some heat on them. Actually, I`d touch them up and wait a *few* days myself.

blkbolt
04-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Scottwax: Ok, so no wash is needed before the clay? Or should I do a quick NXT wash?

I`m limited on time but I may be able to start on the chips tonight and allow it 48hr of curing time before the polishing. I won`t get the repair kit until tomorrow so I would use rubbing alcohol instead of the Prepaint to clean the chips. Then Blob it on. Then use the kit to remove the blob, tomorrow.

Langka says "you can wax your vehicle within 24 hours." Which is the best way to go? Wait for the kit and give it 24 hr`s or start early and give it 48 hr`s?

Thanks for your replies.

Scottwax
04-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Scottwax: Ok, so no wash is needed before the clay? Or should I do a quick NXT wash?

No need to wash after claying

Not sure where you got my recomendation not washing before claying. :think:

blkbolt
04-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Opps, should have reread that. I was thinking dawn, wash... same thing. :think2

Accumulator
04-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Langka says "you can wax your vehicle within 24 hours." Which is the best way to go? Wait for the kit and give it 24 hr`s or start early and give it 48 hr`s?

It`s always best to wait as long as you can after doing any paintwork. In a perfect world you`d wait the usual ~3 months for the tiny bits of paint to cure completely. So just wait as long as you can under the circumstances you`re working with.