PDA

View Full Version : Applying generous amounts of Klasse SG affect appearance?

Panda_TSX
04-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Last time i used Klasse SG, i layered it on generously because i was looking for the ultimate in durability. I could see alot of haze after it dried. For removal, i reused the applicator (wet from the SG), wiped it on and then used a dry MF to remove.

The car looked good, but I was always left wondering if sacrificed looks for the durability (it really did last long).

Anyone have any experience?

Scottwax
04-10-2006, 08:56 PM
The only `appearance` affect you will get applying SG thick vs thin is the appearance of your wallet shrinking after ordering SG constantly.

Only a very small layer actually bonds so applying a thick layer only wastes product and hinders removal.

audipower
04-10-2006, 09:06 PM
The only way u can get more on is a second application. Wait 24 hrs before u apply another coat. I have 2 coats of SG on during the summer and 4 during the winter. It won`t effect the shine. If u live in great winter I would just put two coats on. We have bad winters here. SG will add depth like Scottwax says "reflection is nothing without depth". My saying also. Especailly on darker vehicles. If you live the SG on for 24 hrs or if in warm weather and in the dark 12+ it will cure and when u remove it it will be more flat so much better reflection. Also u want so the micro-mirroring at all or very hard too.

Good luck!

mx5
04-12-2006, 05:27 AM
The haze issue is why I stopped using SG a few years ago. I had haze no matter how little was applied. Other people reported the same problem. Some were saying it had to do with certain types of clearcoat or paint, others stated it was humidity, others said it was dry air. Whatever the reason, it was annoying. But one thing is for sure, after multiple coats, your paint will get darker, and have more of a candy coated look. I really like that look on a black vehicle, but others may not. You can really tell there are multiple layers on your vehicle, there is such a difference from the first layer to the 5th or 10th layer.

Accumulator
04-12-2006, 07:36 AM
The only `appearance` affect you will get applying SG thick vs thin is the appearance of your wallet shrinking after ordering SG constantly..

Heh heh, that`s good :xyxthumbs

Only a very small layer actually bonds so applying a thick layer only wastes product and hinders removal.

Absolutely. I get no difference in appearance/durability/anything when I apply it thick or so thin I can`t see it. If you want more on there apply numerous layers as AudiPower suggested. FWIW, I tend to see a slight improvement in looks up to 4 layers, but beyond that it`s merely bolstering the durability for me (unlike WaxMan, my appearance diffs dropped off after 4, so see what works for *you*).

audipower
04-12-2006, 08:54 AM
The haze issue is why I stopped using SG a few years ago. I had haze no matter how little was applied. Other people reported the same problem. Some were saying it had to do with certain types of clearcoat or paint, others stated it was humidity, others said it was dry air. Whatever the reason, it was annoying. But one thing is for sure, after multiple coats, your paint will get darker, and have more of a candy coated look. I really like that look on a black vehicle, but others may not. You can really tell there are multiple layers on your vehicle, there is such a difference from the first layer to the 5th or 10th layer.

Wow! Never heard of that. I`ve been using it for about 8 yrs now and never had a problem with it leaving a haze. I live in NE Ohio and it gets really humid here during the summer do to the lake. Which I only live 40 yds from. Would really like to hear what causes that. I`ve done everything from back yd paint jobs to prof. paint jobs and of course every make. Never had that problem.

I totally agree with the darker look on the paint with more then one coat. I don`t suggest more then one coat on reds, whites or vibrant colors. Blacks, tans, etc. look real nice. Especially on metallics it seperates the metallic more from the color when you add a wax (p21S). I only add more then 2 coats during the winter where all I care about is protection.

topnotchtouch
04-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Here is a pic of my Mustang with 2 layers of AIO/SG applied very thin, whisper thin. As Scott and others have said, applying it thick will just waste product. Even with 2 layers the Mustang has the candy dipped look to it which I also like.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2760dsc00041.jpg

shortspark
04-12-2006, 10:22 AM
I have a billit silver Honda and I use AIOx2 and SGx3 (spaced 12 hours or so apart). I am happy with the Klasse twins but lets face it, nothing on billit silver is going to give you that wow factor like on black or red. I apply SG really thin and have no trouble with haze. To rejuvinate, I simply use the home brew formula I learned about here which is 1 part SG/3 parts distilled water. I put it in a mister bottle and apply it and use it as a QD. The vehicle has to be clean as it is not a Poorboys SW type but it really gives new life and shine after a wash. I would compare it to Menzerna HGAS and since it is SG, you are in a dilluted sort of way putting on your lsp every time you use it.

Scottwax
04-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Bob-your Mustang looks great in that pic...but I still like it best with #7/#26. ;)

foxtrapper
04-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I did a study of this. Actually two studies.

Study one involved thick layers and even puddles. All it did was increase the gunk that had to be wiped off.

Did a layering study, with different times between coats. No difference in durability from the pointless 24 hour wait time. Small difference in durability with multiple layers, but not much and it certainly wasn`t matching the # of layers. 16 layers didn`t last much longer than 2.

Accumulator
04-14-2006, 12:10 PM
16 layers didn`t last much longer than 2.

My experiences differed from yours. I had used two layers and got perhaps three months of uncompromised durability; at that point it was sheeting instead of beading and the surface no longer felt very smooth. I then experimented with more layers. The durability on panels where I used two layers diddn`t compare to the durability where I used six. Six layers were still beading and feeling smooth after many months including a tough Ohio winter. In fact, most of the vehicle was still beading (just starting to sheet) after a full year and it still felt well-protected. This was on the MPV, which gets used all the time; no QDing, just regular washes and spot-claying at every wash.

I recognize that beading vs. sheeting and tactile cues like "smoothness" aren`t the final words in durability evaluation, but IMO they still indicate a change for the worse.

I had similar experiences when using KSG on wheels. Four layers protect for a lot longer than two. If not, I wouldn`t bother adding the extra layers as the car`s off the road while I`m doing this ;)

Not :argue just pointing out that some of us have had dramatic durability from multiple layers that we couldn`t duplicate with only one or two.

Scottwax
04-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Not :argue just pointing out that some of us have had dramatic durability from multiple layers that we couldn`t duplicate with only one or two.

Exactly why it is impossible to tell someone specifically what kind of durability they can expect from product X. :bigups

Accumulator
04-15-2006, 09:14 AM
ScottWax- Ain`t that the truth! Sometimes the differences people get are so dramatic that it`s hard to discuss them without it sounding like a flame. Sometimes whatever`s responsible is just :nixweiss but *man* do things work out differently for different people in different situations. Just look at the durability differences you and I experience with Souveran, and you`re in Texas using it on black vehicles :eek:

foxtrapper
04-18-2006, 06:34 AM
One of the things that regular interferes with long life testing is the maintenance. I`ve talked with a number of people regarding how long product X lasted, and almost without exception, you find they`ve been washing, QD`ing, etc. Which greatly affects product life and the effects you see.

In the case of the longevity study I did, I completely ignored the test area. No washing, no waxing, no nothing. Left outside in the sun and rain and whatever else was in the air at the moment.

Doing it that way, I`ve noticed that SG starts to not look so good after a few weeks. As in between 1-3 months. In doing the semi-detailed study on the hood of my old red Toyota truck I taped off areas and applied various numbers of layers of SG. From none to 24 or so back to back, and something like up to 10 spaced out over daily applications.

It took a bit, and I didn`t really notice it initially, but everything disapeared at about the same rate. Roughly a year later I pulled the tape. All areas of the hood not under tape were faded pink, very chalky and gritty to the touch. Everything uniformly looked terrible, regardless of the numbers of layers of SG applied. Under the tape, things were still shiny and a deep red color.

Results with my Volvo have been roughly similar.

Something else to remember is this is on non-clear coated cars, red specifically. Clearcoat makes a tremendous difference in shine and feel. And red is the king of fading and chalking when it comes to non-clear coating. My 97 clear coated black and silver truck looks just spiffy, and I doubt it`s ever been waxed.