PDA

View Full Version : Can`t remove the swirls in the vette`s paint.

Pages : [1] 2

corvettelover
04-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Okay, I just bought a 1998 torch red vette, and I wanted to clean the paint up. It`s in really good shape, but the previous owner didn`t do the best job protecting the paint.

I have a PC 7336 with the PB product line. I clayed the car, ran the SSR 2.5 on the paint "several coats", put three coats of PB polish, followed by 2 coats of the sealant w/carnauba and finished up with a coat of Natty`s wax. The car look soooo much better, but when your in the sun, I can still see the very small spider web swirls, and it`s driving my crazy!! What would you guy`s recommend to remove the swirls? I`m on the fence about fillers, and as of right now I`d like something without the fillers, and if the swirls beat me, I might reconsider.

I`m not really sure why I only used the PB product line; I guess I thought they work better together than by mixing with something else, but after reading this board, I can see I made a mistake. I think PB is okay, but I’m hoping their is better out there that will land me better results. I`m going to keep reading this board and try to find a solution, but if anyone would like to recommend any options PLEASE DO SO.

Hey, Moe!
04-10-2006, 09:59 AM
What speed were you running the PC on? One of my early mistakes was running at 3-4. It seemed that bumping it to 6 worked better.

I don`t have much experience with different brands of polish. Someone else will surely chime in on that.

Miami Dave
04-10-2006, 10:08 AM
To be honest from what I have read and seen the PB is pretty good if not fantastic seeing some of the results people achieve with it. Sounds like you are not using enough pressure, not letting the product breakdown, or you need to up the speed. It could be only one of these factors that is not allowing you to achieve the desired results. Also I would follow 2.5 with 1 as I think 2.5 still leaves a bit of a haze.

corvettelover
04-10-2006, 10:09 AM
What speed were you running the PC on? One of my early mistakes was running at 3-4. It seemed that bumping it to 6 worked better.

I don`t have much experience with different brands of polish. Someone else will surely chime in on that.

I had the PC on speed 6 when applying the SSR2.5.

EBPcivicsi
04-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Here`s my take having dealt with some of the vette clear....

You are never going to be able to produce 100% swirl free paint with the PC on the vette--unless you have days and days to polish. You can have 85-90% swirl free paint, but IMO with your clear, a rotary is needed.

The Meguiars line works great on vette clear. I would look into some #83 and follow it with #80, both with polishing pads and @ speed5.5-6.

Hope this helps, don`t give up!!

corvettelover
04-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Here`s my take having dealt with some of the vette clear....

You are never going to be able to produce 100% swirl free paint with the PC on the vette--unless you have days and days to polish. You can have 85-90% swirl free paint, but IMO with your clear, a rotary is needed.

The Meguiars line works great on vette clear. I would look into some #83 and follow it with #80, both with polishing pads and @ speed5.5-6.

Hope this helps, don`t give up!!

Thanks for the reply, and this brings me to my next question. What`s so different about the vettes paint? I`ve had several people tell me it looks wet even when it`s dirty.

Rolla
04-10-2006, 10:30 AM
The Vette has a very hard clear coat.

imported_NT2SHBBY
04-10-2006, 10:34 AM
I would venture to guess that it has something to do with paint curing on fiberglass (Vette is the only fiberglass car made)

corvettelover
04-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Okay, here is what I`m thinking of going with, and in this order. Are any of theses products other than Natty`s non layerable?

wash

clay

wash

Meguiars #83

Meguiars #80

Klasse Twins

Natty`s wax

What do ya think!

ZaneO
04-10-2006, 11:14 AM
You don`t "layer" polishes. They are abrasive and don`t leave anything behind. You can use/apply them as needed, but there won`t be any layers of them.

Klasse SG and Natty`s should "layer" to an extent.

I`ve corrected many C5 finishes with the PC. What pads are you using with the PC?

corvettelover
04-10-2006, 11:40 AM
You don`t "layer" polishes. They are abrasive and don`t leave anything behind. You can use/apply them as needed, but there won`t be any layers of them.

Klasse SG and Natty`s should "layer" to an extent.

I`ve corrected many C5 finishes with the PC. What pads are you using with the PC?

I thought Natty`s was non layerable?

When I received Sonus pad kit I follow the recommendation from the piece of paper that came with the kit. I know for a fact, that I used a orange, or yellow pad for the swirl remover.

-KGB-
04-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Bump the polishing pad with the #83 up to atleast the orange pad

DM101
04-10-2006, 12:22 PM
I thought Natty`s was non layerable?

When I received Sonus pad kit I follow the recommendation from the piece of paper that came with the kit. I know for a fact, that I used a orange, or yellow pad for the swirl remover.

I know it won`t layer with a polishing pad. Use Natty`s with a finishing pad and it will layer. Or you can spit shine http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38121

imported_memnuts
04-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the reply, and this brings me to my next question. What`s so different about the vettes paint? I`ve had several people tell me it looks wet even when it`s dirty.

I have a Torch Red C5 (2001) and the clear is very hard and also very shiny.

The base color coat is also very color hue rich.

C5`s, especially Torch Red, look nice (wet and glossy) even when slightly dirty. :cooleek:

I have only had success with C5 blemish removal using a rotary with a polishing pad. My PC just does not cut it in a timely manner without using quite abrasive polishes (compounds).

Rotary + Menzerna IP followed by Z-PC Fusion has worked for me to remove 95-100% of light swirling.

gmblack3
04-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Here is a TR vette (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68643&highlight=vette+red) that I worked on. I used rotary @ 1600, Menzerna PG and a wool pad. This was after 2 passes:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/IMG_0790.jpg

Buy your description yours does not sound this bad.