PDA

View Full Version : Artificial light show defects better than the sun?

Neo62381
04-10-2006, 08:53 AM
I was wandering, if halogens, or something really bright would bring out defects better? Getting ready to order some FPII and try to get all the haze out :woot:

Accumulator
04-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Used in an otherwise dark shop, good artificial lighting can indeed show flaws that are at least harder to see in natural sunlight. Consider that many people think their finish is "perfect" until they see it under certain types of lighting at night.

But for holograms, natural sunlight is betst.

IMO the only foolproof answer is to use all types of lighting- (different types of) artificial light and sunlight. Some things are easier/harder to spot under each.

MorBid
04-13-2006, 10:19 PM
I would have to agree with that statement. I work with at least two sets of Halogens but still find I need some sunlight to check for rotary buffer marks.

velobard
04-14-2006, 07:33 AM
I just wish I had an alternative to halogens for really bright interior lighting. Those buggers crank out way too much heat.

nudave
04-14-2006, 07:37 AM
I just wish I had an alternative to halogens for really bright interior lighting. Those buggers crank out way too much heat.

Very hard to do...more light = more heat. Flourescents try to fight this, but it`s just not good enough.

imported_Picus
04-14-2006, 07:46 AM
I always thought sunlight was the best until I started going to get gas at night. Those lights are much more revealing than sunlight imo.

WSUcommuter
04-14-2006, 08:28 AM

Not a problem during the cold winter! :spot

Accumulator
04-14-2006, 09:19 AM
I always thought sunlight was the best until I started going to get gas at night. Those lights are much more revealing than sunlight imo.

Those are great for everything except light holograms. My high-wattage incandescent approach is my way of mimicking those lights- no more surprises at the gas station :D Now I`m the guy standing there at the gas station inspecting his paint with a big grin on his face. That was *exactly* the kind of lighting I was trying to duplicate when I tried all sorts of stuff and settled on the incandescents.

The Other PC posted some good stuff about this on a recent thread...it`s the "distant point-source" effect, combining both illumination and contrast. Halogens are great for general illumination while polishing, but they lack the extreme contrast needed for swirl-spotting (or at least that`s my imperfect understanding/remembering of it, I really oughta spend some time actually learning this stuff).

imported_Picus
04-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Ya, that makes a lot of sense. I always make sure to park a car in heavy sunlight when looking for holograms, but I so admit the gas station lighting was a shock to me. I`ll have to get some of those high-watt incandescents.... and maybe a disco ball, some black lights, a little rave music... nevermind! :D