PDA

View Full Version : Wax visability on a White Car

alphakry
04-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi everyone. I just joined the forums and I`m looking forward to being a contributing and frequent member here.

I know this question has been asked before, but any discussion I found on it was at least a few years old. So I`m reopening the topic... for anyone that owns a white car, what wax are you currently using and do you have a good solution to the fact that it`s near impossible to see the wax application on the white paint?

The only colored wax I`ve heard of is the turtlewax - which seems to get horrible reviews.

Anyone else come out with one?

medic159
04-10-2006, 02:02 PM
I don`t agree with the common assumption that you can`t get depth on white. My car is white and after a few layers of Z2Pro you can absolutely see depth and shine.

http://dftowel.com/carshows/tanner05/images/IMG_02.JPG

Sherman8r44
04-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Correct me if I`m wrong, but I think he`s asking if there are any waxes that you can actually see when applying to a white color car. Not the results.

If so, there`s always Finish Kare Pink Wax, Natty`s Blue Paste Wax, Meg`s #16, and others. However, application should be so thin that you can barely see the color of the wax.

Brian_Brice
04-10-2006, 03:43 PM
well bahama mama looks pretty yellow/orangey on white paint, just used it on a white f150 today. but i wouldnt shop for product for that reason, just find the angle that exposes the left behind wax and pay close attention

Accumulator
04-10-2006, 04:20 PM
...[LSP] application should be so thin that you can barely see the color of the wax.

Yeah, that`s what I was thinking. When I had white vehicles I generally couldn`t see my LSPs on them at all. I just methodologies that aren`t dependent on visual cues- I was careful to always use the proper amount of LSP on the applicator and to always use the applicator in the same way (pressure, etc.); I worked methodically and carefully in a set pattern; I went by feel (unwaxed areas feel different from waxed ones); and I fogged the panels with my breath during the final buffing, which often made less-than-uniform/missed areas show up. If you always do the same thing, and you always do it very carefully, you should always get the same result (hopefully a *good* result ;) ).

Even now, I apply stuff so thin on our silver vehicles that I can`t rely on what I see. I go by feel and I`m careful to do every area in a systematic way. If in doubt, I go over the areas in question again.

Vw Gti
04-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Looking at an angle does not work? Usually that should be good enough to see the streaks.

tomee
04-10-2006, 04:52 PM
im currently using #21 on my whiet car.

because it is purple you can see the application

medic159
04-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Oh I misunderstood the question. I`ve noticed that with the car in the shade looking at the car towards the light I can see any spots I missed pretty easily. It`s just a matter of looking for dull and shiny.

imported_newwaxer
04-10-2006, 08:22 PM
ColorX is slightly blue and a good cleaner wax.

mblgjr
04-10-2006, 08:27 PM
All I`ve ever been able to do is get down at an angle to see that I got everything off.

I`ve thought about a couple of drops of food coloring, but figured it wasn`t worth it, or that it *might* be abrasive/stain/etc.

alphakry
04-17-2006, 03:20 PM
ya - the food coloring idea popped in my head also but i`m fairly sure it wouldn`t work well...

as for the angle idea - well that is the current method i use - but i feel that being able to see the wax would make it easier and faster... i do have a system down, but nothing beats being able to see some type of haze like you would on say a black car...