PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations Please.

lutzms
04-10-2006, 08:25 AM
OK...this spring I`ll be using my PC for the first time. I have seven cars that I hope to detail within the next two months (my own and family cars). I`ll start with my cars, since those are the ones that I have access to right away. What I`m looking for are product recommendations and application process (product/pad/speed for each step). I have read through the forums and tutorials, but I`m still debating what the best process would be. At the end of the post I will put what I have put together for a process. I`m going to start with exterior details, then do my interiors after. Sorry that this is such a long post...thanks for the help!

The first car I want to detail is a black 2001 PT Cruiser that I just got from a car auction. This car has never been detailed that I can tell. It has a ton of small scratches (nothing that catches the finger nail though), and swirling all over. It also has one little rust spot next to the rear hatch handle. That area I plan to clean and knock off any loose paint. I will then prime it, and follow this tutorial to cover the chip http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43937

The second car I want to detail is a red 1995 Mustang that I`ve had for a number of years, but has never been properly detailed. This car has one scratch that is about 5 inches long and catches the finger (keyed while I was at the hospital). I will most likely have to have this repaired by a body shop (if anyone has suggestions on how I could do it, let me know). The car has two areas that were touched up and the paint sits higher than the rest of the paint. I plan to use 2000 grit paper to smooth those areas level, and will touch up the smaller chips and also smooth those level (I tried Langka, but it didn`t work at all). The car has terrible swirling, etched water on the hood and trunk, and the windows are etched severely as well (all etching was like that when I got the car...it`s in a garage 95% of the time since I bought it). I want to get this car in as good of shape as possible, as it was a gift from my grandfather, and I don`t plan on letting it go. I will be having the rear bumper repainted this spring, because there are cracks in the paint. The windows will be difficult, but there are a number of threads with suggestions on what to try (I`ve done the vinegar, clay, and a few other mixtures with no success). I want this to look as wet as possible when I`m done detailing it.

Products I Have:

Meg`s #80

Meg`s #83

Meg`s #26 liquid

Meg`s Deep Crystal Cleaner (#2)

Meg`s #7 glaze

Sonus clay

Sonus pad kit

Meg’s wash

Lot`s of MF towels

Products I`ve Considered Buying (but don`t know if they are better than what I have):

SSR 3

SSR 2.5

SSR 2

Natty Blue (heard it`s great for dark paint)

What I Need:

Wax: number 16 or Natty`s Blue

What I`ve Thought for a Process:

Meg`s Wash

Sonus Clay

Meg`s Wash

Meg’s Deep Crystal paint cleaner @ 4,000 (Pad???)

Meg’s 83 on yellow @ 3,000

Meg’s 83 on yellow @ 6,000

Meg’s 80 on white @ 4,000

Meg’s 80 on white @ 6,000

Meg’s 26 on blue @ 4,000

Microfiber bonnet @ 3,000

TOP COAT????