PDA

View Full Version : Starting little bussiness

LoWang
02-27-2005, 03:41 PM
U have been cleaning my car and others for about 7 years now, I think i do a dam good job and was wondering how i might go and start a little bussiness from my house. Just a few questions of what do I NEED to start beside, Waxes, Polish, Clay, Cleaner, degresser, Glass Cleaner, Microfiber rags, Terry Cloth for drying. What else would I need. Also would anyone recomend the MrClean AutoDry. What would be a good price to charge for this type of work. Thank you for all info giving

Shaun Carollo
02-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Stick around here for a while and then you`ll be able to answer your own question.

zainoshine
02-27-2005, 08:05 PM
For starters, you may want to do terry cloth rags and microfiber for drying (and everything else) except "microfiber rags and terry cloth for drying." A quality waffle weave microfiber makes drying faster and easier.

According to everything I`ve heard about Mr. Clean Autodry, it`s great for the final rinse if anything (de-ionized water), but the rinsing/soap dispensing have a weak spray.

As far as price ranges, it depends what you want to offer and where you live.

A "full package" which is all of your services is usually around $115-$250+ depending on location.

Jngrbrdman
02-27-2005, 08:37 PM
It sounds like you probably know what you are doing by now, but I do have this guide on making money with this hobby (http://www.ocdetails.com/html/making_money.html) that you might get some use out of. What you have on hand is entirely dependant on what kind of detailing you plan on doing. My original stock was just a simple paint cleaner, a wax, some interior products, engine degreaser, lots of armor all, and some glass cleaner. As I ran into more complex problems or read about better products my supply quickly outgrew my trunk.

I would definitely not charge people money if you are going to be using the Mr. Clean crap. If they see you using something to wash their car that they can pick up at any WalMart and then you charge them $40 bucks for your trouble, then they aren`t going to be giving you any referals. There isn`t anything that thing will do that you can`t do better by hand. It was designed for the lazy person who just wants to wash their car and not spend any time doing a good job at it. Just stick to bucket washing and using a good drying towel. That will make a much better impression than using half baked techniques and products that they could do themselves.

LoWang
02-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the info and the whole Mr Clean was for bro who is one lazy piece of crap(hasnt cleaned car in over a year.) Only other question i have is, this place by me charges $10 for full car wash, $13 for Full wash rims and wheel brite, Magic Color polish wax, $25 for that and CLearcoat protection leather/vinyl conditioner, $30 Hand wash and waxing. How can I compete with these prices while also making some money

mdsmithers
02-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Quality of your work will greatly enhance the altitude of your price.

Jngrbrdman
02-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Those are car wash prices. They are not detailing. Detailers use a bucket when they wash the car. They use a machine when they polish the car and not some generic wax that shoots out of multiple jets. Those aren`t the places you are competing with. Charge what the job and your time is worth. If someone brings up the other place and how much lower their prices are then you just need to point out how your services are different and better. I haven`t had anyone compare my prices to another detail shop in years. Just provide a quality service and forget about the other guys. They are only competition if they are better than you.

LoWang
02-28-2005, 05:52 AM
YU for the word of encouragement

Hawaiianelement
03-01-2005, 03:25 PM
aloha Lowang, congrats on your new endeavor . Once you get more skilled and up on the best products and techniques , you`ll have the confidence to charge higher prices. Most people know that going to a detailer is alot better quality than the local car wash and expect the price to be adjusted accordingly.

I`m mobile and I charge
wash ,rims,tires,dress dash- $20
wash n- wax ---------------$40
deluxe interior --------------$75
exterior --------------------same
Full detail $150

Then don`t forget your upgrades like paint sealant and scotchguard and buffing ..

scrub
03-01-2005, 06:42 PM
As posted above I try to: sell the products I use, equipment I use (expensive MF...), and the fact I study and learn from members of detailing communities like this one to better my skills.

As for prices you`re right you can`t compete. Do you really want to? I didn`t agree with this concept at first but with my limited time to work do I want to wash cars for $20-25 or detail cars for $100-150. I felt I could do both. I don`t really want to now. If I start this full time you bet I`ll get the gravy when I can.

Back to your original post what do you need? What image do you want to project for your business? I work from home or on the road, but I try to have all my gear organized and ready to use to project a more professional image. Tools you might need (some right away and some later on): vac, dual action polisher, dressings... Situations will come up that require special products. Get those as you need them. Having them on hand will again project an image of professionalism and preparedness. Good luck!