PDA

View Full Version : ? About Websites/Business Plan

Pages : [1] 2

Shaun Carollo
02-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Is it worth it for the weekend/summer detailer to have a website? I want to project a very professional image since I am only 18. I really want people to take me as seriously as they do the 40 year old guy down the street, if not MORE serious.

-Shaun

Ed Hartman
02-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Absolutely. A great marketing tool

wifehatescar
02-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Is it worth it for the weekend/summer detailer to have a website?
-Shaun

That`s exactly what I`m doing and having a website is great.

rollman
02-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Business name , some type of motto or saying , your name ,phone number, email and web site if you have one. The area/area`s your serving.

audiboy
02-27-2005, 05:24 PM
how much does it usually cost to set a website up? i am a weekend detailer too and have a limited amount of funds. im just looking for a basic website, nothing spectacular.

Shaun Carollo
02-27-2005, 05:58 PM
I have looked into www.godaddy.com (superbowl commercial) and found that it will cost about $40 to register the domain for 2 years, and $9.99 a month for basic web hosting services.

Thanks for the responses,
Shaun

colche
02-27-2005, 06:08 PM
register a domain (godaddy are pretty cheap) -- learn some basic HTML or find a mate who knows a bit of programming and get him to whip you up something quick :)

rollman
02-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Business name , some type of motto or saying , your name ,phone number, email and web site if you have one. The area/area`s your serving.

Sorry Wrong thread .

My take on it is

A web site can`t hurt your part time business endearor . Whether or not you can afford to set one up and maintain it is another thing. There`s plenty of software that can walk you through building your site , maybe you have a free homepage with your ISP . Doing it that way wouldn`t cost you anything, they have setup wizard software you can use to build your page /pages .

Another way and they one talked about here is, register a dot COM domain and use a frontpage type of software to build your site. Of course you have monthly hosting fee`s to pay but they can be cheap . Godaddy has hosting for as low as $7 a month . You could also register a dot US domain which is cheaper . I just did one not long ago and it cost me $26.84 for 2 years.

scrub
02-27-2005, 07:17 PM
I used godaddy for my site. I was just going to use them for domain name but there hosting deals were great compared to the other place someone recommended. I also took advantage of the web site tonight program (for additional fee) to get my site up and running asap. Now I have a web presence and I can take my time learning HTML and build a site that is a bit more polished than the one I have now. I chose this route rather than learning and building a site at the same time. To me this projects a better image and I don`t have pages with "under construction". This would turn people off for the brief time I have their attention.

My site cost $55 and change. That`s domain name plus private registration (I paid it to keep the "whois" private, might be a load of BS), web site tonight (5 page), and one year of web hosting at $3.19 (base package deal) a month I think. The best part The site was up and running within hours. The hosting also gives you plenty of email addresses so I used scub@mydomain... for my email address.

Changes are simple to the web site. My site is cookie cutter but you can change colors, add albums... to make the site different from the template.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

pappy
02-28-2005, 08:18 AM
i host my site here.....i just use there special plan.
http://ace-host.net/hostingplans.html

hasnt let me down yet and they have all the special things you may need and support just about everything u would need.

Jngrbrdman
02-28-2005, 10:16 AM
OCDetails.com is hosted by 1and1.com. I don`t get much search engine traffic, but that is ok. The main reason I built it was so I could put a URL on a business card and people could go there when they had a chance. You can`t really carry around your portfolio of work with you to show to people. Its much easier to put your prices and examples of your work on a website and just slap that on the business card rather than try to give them all that information on the spot. My site kind of evolved beyond what I had originally intended, but its still on my business card. 1and1 was incredibly cheap and it came with some great software to build the site. No html knowledge is needed and there are many resources for novice webmasters to use. You could have your site up in a couple hours with them. But, like I said... for some reason they aren`t very search engine friendly. I don`t get traffic from Google or anywhere like that. If you are just a weekend warrior then high traffic is the last thing you want anyway. Just try to avoid free webspace services. The URL is usually 40 miles long. Buy a domain you like and find a webhost that wil give you enough space to build a good website and handle some traffic.

JeffM
02-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Alot of the top sites that come up on google are paid to google to come up like that.

Jngrbrdman
02-28-2005, 10:08 PM
That`s not true. I got OCDpharmacy.com ranking high in Google for free. The only ones that pay to get listed are the ones on the right hand column.

tpgsr
02-28-2005, 11:16 PM
If you google my comapny name Diamond Detailing, I absorb the top 3 spots normally. I have a decent website at www.ddetail.com (slightly under construction) that costs me $10/month for a little over a Gig of space.

If anyone is really interested in a nice professional site, shoot me an e-mail at mgleeson@diamonddetailing.biz and we can talk. I am not a "pro" but i have more experience than some pro`s :lol:

Volks_Jetta
03-03-2005, 04:12 PM
I am thinking about getting a website myself (just for fun) and went to www.click-worx.com. They are offering a free 2-page website. I guess you can`t go wrong with that. If you don`t want anything fancy, they have templates that you can use to get a site built in a few hours by yourself, no programming skills needed.

The catch is (of course, there is a catch) that if you want something more than a 2-page website, then you start paying for hosting fees and stuff...