PDA

View Full Version : Homade Lubricant used with claying?

4details2win
04-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Last week I detailed my first car for $. I plan on doing this part time since I`m off 4 days a week due to me working 12 hour days. After I washed the car I used a homade mixture of Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo and water in a spray bottle however after a while my Clay Magic clay bar started kinda falling apart. The integrity of the bar wasn`t what it use to be.

I didn`t measure anything when making this mixture just poured the shampoo and added water. Maybe I was using too much shampoo which was making it fall apart. I`m not sure.

Is there a better mixture that you have come up with that works great? If I go about trying this method again can someone tell me the mixture ratio of Shampoo to water?

Thx

imported_steveo3002
04-08-2006, 10:01 AM
yeah ive had em fall apart...i figured clay magic and gold class didnt mix

Sherman8r44
04-08-2006, 10:16 AM
I use Gold Class in a 32oz. spray bottle, 1oz. of GC and 31oz. water. I have never had a problem with clay breaking apart, but I`ve also never used Clay Magic.

imported_cj99si
04-08-2006, 10:42 AM
sounds like clay magic sucks.

I just use a spray bottle and a few drops of soap, and it works perfect.

Envious Eric
04-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I need to find a cheaper alternative to using a QD....at 5 bucks, its expensive to clay....maybe soap and water is one

imported_cj99si
04-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I need to find a cheaper alternative to using a QD....at 5 bucks, its expensive to clay....maybe soap and water is one

I used the QD the first time, switched to soap and water after that. Ive done probably 50 or 60 with perfect results since then. I just did a brand new black. absolutly perfect paint hadnt even been washed yet but the guy ran over some new tar. I was worried that claying would leave some fine scratches. It didnt at all. Anyway its completly safe and infinatly cheaper. sorry for the ramble.

Alfisti
04-09-2006, 06:44 AM
I use car shampoo and water as a lubricant too. Some car shampoos don`t react well with certain clays. You just need to find the right combination and stick to that.

For example, my Meguires white clay bar disintegrated when I used a weak woolite mix (that`s what I had handy at the time).

On the other hand, my Sonus grey clay was unaffected with Mothers car shampoo mix.

Just experiment until you get the right combo. Don`t give up - keep trying. You will find a cheap lube alternative. If you don`t, look on the bright side...QD costs only a few dollars in the US. In Australia, the cheapest QD is about $15 a bottle. :faint:

tomee
04-09-2006, 06:53 AM
yup after wasting alot of QD, i decided to mix GC shampoo with water as a lubricant for claying...